Intermediate Japanese Book Club (Currently reading: コーヒーが冷めないうちに)

I want to nominate a book but the list seems quite long already. Should I wait until a few books get removed or just go for it?

4 Likes

I think it’s fine to nominate a new book.

Currently we have 16 nominations, that means there are 4 slots left (as the poll can only hold 20 entries). Also, a lot of the current nominations were unpopular in the last poll, so we might see a few of them drop out soon (which is totally expected given the long-lasting nature of this club). Therefore it is always nice to have some fresh contestants being thrown into the ring :slight_smile:

I‘m curious to see what your nomination will be!

8 Likes

Isn’t it 17 with Tenki no Ko? :eyes:

4 Likes

Oh, thanks! I totally forgot to add it to the nominations list. In that case, there is 3 slots left for new nominations.

5 Likes

The suspense is killing me. What could this new nomination be!?

9 Likes

I humbly present…

ガイコツ書店員本田さん (Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san)

Summary

Japanese

(業務と)戦うガイコツ書店員、本田さん!! コミック売り場がこんなに笑える職場だなんて聞いてない!? 爆笑必至の本屋さん実録お仕事マンガ☆ (from Amazon)

English

Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san is based on a real life experience of the author Honda during her days as a bookstore employee. The story follows the life of the staff while explaining how a bookstore works. (from Wikipedia)

Availability

Paperback: CDJapan Amazon
eBook: Kindle Bookwalker Kobo

Personal Opinion

This is a comedy/slice of life manga about working in a bookstore, specifically the comics department. You can tell that the author has worked in that job herself, because some of the foreign customers’ behaviours just seem incredibly spot on. Early chapters focus on customer interactions, but later on it gets more into some of the behind the scenes parts of the job, which I thought was really interesting. Oh, and of course the main character is a skeleton.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Finished series with only 4 volumes in total
  • Some foreign characters speaking Japanese at various levels of fluency - good for figuring out why certain expressions sound off to a native speaker
  • Learning more book-related vocabulary

Cons

• Early chapters feature discussions of yaoi, though nothing explicit as far as I can tell, and there are no graphic depictions
  • There doesn’t seem to be much plot

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

7 Likes

Looking at the sample pages, I was of the impression it might be better suited for the Beginner Book Club? There is not too much text, easy sentences and furigana. What do you think?

My impression was that compared to recent BBC picks, it’s much more text dense. Haikyuu seems to be on a similar level, I didn’t read that one along with the club but from what I’ve gathered, many people seemed to struggle with it, so I thought this club was more appropriate. Also, my judgement might absolutely be clouded by the fact that I tried and failed to read this manga a year ago :sweat_smile: Of course I’d be happy to move it to the BBC if that’s a better fit :smile:

2 Likes

I see! I didn’t read Haikyuu but I compared it to Fruits Basket which is also quite text-heavy and contains complicated sentences. :woman_shrugging:

I‘m of course not in the position to decide this alone, and I don’t really mind one way or another, but maybe somebody else has an opinion on this?

Ah, I’ve read that in English, and found it uproariously funny. Given the number of foreigners the character interacts with, I’ve actually been kinda curious as to how it works in the original Klingon Japanese.

6 Likes

I don’t know about the relative difficulties myself, but if I recall correctly, didn’t people also talk about having problems with Fruits Basket being text-heavy and containing complicated sentences?

Hmm, I don’t specifically recall such conversations. Which of course doesn’t mean that (a) they did not take place, and (b) people did not have issues with the manga. :upside_down_face:

I think I wanted to say that this manga (from looking at the sample pages) seems to be easier to understand than Fruits Basket (which was a BBC pick).
But like I said, I don’t mind either way whether this one stays here or is moved to BBC.

1 Like

This manga looks hilarious!

I’m curious how hard it would be to understand that the foreigners are speaking broken Japanese…or if it might sound natural to someone like me - who speaks broken Japanese myself.

2 Likes

It looks like the nomination post for 灰と幻想のグリムガル was deleted for some reason. Does anyone want to renominate it, or should we remove it from the list of nominations?

1 Like

It does look like it indeed :thinking: Does anyone remember who nominated it?
I tried hard to check the Internet archives, but it only saves the first 20 comments or so of this thread (and does not include links).

1 Like

Hmm, I don’t remember who nominated it :thinking:
I only know that it was still there when we ran the last poll because I checked the difficulty poll.
Well, since it’s gone, we should remove the entry and move the name to the „removed“ section. (I can do that later if you like.)

If somebody wants to renominate it at some point, we will add it again.

1 Like

I don’t remember who nominated it, but based on the replies to the deleted post I’m guessing @yukinet is a likely candidate

(Though I could also just be biased from feeling like I tend to see a lot of random suddenly deleted old posts from them)

3 Likes

I also keep wondering if there’s a connection between @yukinet and @yukine :thinking: (as in they made a new account and deleted the old one). I guess the similar name could also be a complete coincidence.

Edit: ah, but no, @yukinet still has posts on the forum.

I was also confused by that coincidence :rofl: But I agree, I also believe they are different persons.

2 Likes

Who?

1 Like