Intermediate Japanese Book Club (Currently reading: コーヒーが冷めないうちに)

Since there was some talk about opening lines a while ago, it feels appropriate to mention that I like the opening lines for a book I bought recently. Namely,

“一度だけ、本物の流れ星を見たことがある。旅行先ではなく、自分の部屋の窓からだ。” from SAO Progressive. I don’t know if it’s all that amazing, but it’s better than the ones in most other books I have so it kind of stood out to me. It’s also the only part I’ve read of the book so far, so I have no idea about if the rest of it is any good or not. It just made me think of the discussion about opening lines in this topic, that’s all :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just in case, here’s the post I had in mind.
As mentioned, I really liked the book and plan to keep reading this series as soon as I am done with my current pile of misc unread stuff (only two book left!)
If by chance the book is picked by the club, I will of course participate in the discussion threads as well.

2 Likes

(+ the rest of 放浪息子 :wink:)

I have a feeling it won’t win. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Oh well, that’s fine too :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Putting in my two bits here for this manga, the first two volumes of which are free on bookwalker till the 8th!

its so interesting!

1 Like

ブギーポップは笑わない

Summary

Japanese

君には夢があるかい? 残念ながら、ぼくにはそんなものはない。でもこの物語に出てくる少年少女達は、みんなそれなりに願いを持って、それが叶えられずウジウジしたり、あるいは完全に開き直って目標に突き進んだり、また自分の望みというのがなんなのかわからなかったり、叶うはずのない願いと知っていたり、その姿勢の無意識の前向きさで知らずに他人に勇気を与えたりしている。 これはバラバラな話だ。かなり不気味で、少し悲しい話だ。――え? ぼくかい? ぼくの名は"ブギーポップ"

English(taken from US amazon, not an actual translation of japanese summary)

Who am I? My name is Boogiepop…

There is an urban legend that children tell about a shinigami that can release people from the pain they are suffering. This “Angel of Death” has a name–Boogiepop. And the legends are true. Boogiepop is real. When a rash of disappearances involving female students breaks out at Shinyo Academy, the police and faculty assume they just have a bunch of runaways on their hands. Yet Nagi Kirima knows better. Something mysterious and foul is afoot. Is it Boogiepop or something even more sinister…?

Availability

Amazon
Bookwalker

Personal Opinion

I was interested in the anime adaption but never got around to watching it, so I figured I’d check out the actual book instead. After reading the sample pages, I thought they were at a level that may be appropriate for the book club, and the story seemed somewhat interesting, so that’s why I’m nominating it. It has both an anime adaption and a live-action film based on it, and it was supposedly a fairly big inspiration for at least a few other somewhat successful light novel series(If I recall correctly, Baccano and the Monogatari series would be two examples), so it also seems to be pretty well-liked.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Has pages, 296 of them
  • Nearly no furigana, at least judging by the sample pages
  • Seems to be a very influential and well-liked series

Cons

• May be a bit long at 296 pages(according to amazon)
  • Nearly no furigana

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

3 Likes

I hope I didn’t forget to include anything :sweat_smile: I figured I’d nominate another book since I actually read one of my previous nominations and it turned out to not be very good, so I wanted to nominate a (hopefully) better book.

By the way, if anyone knows, how long will nominations be open and when will we be voting for the next book? Just curious

1 Like

Which one?

ゼロの使い魔. It may(to some extent) just be that it has a different target audience, but I didn’t really enjoy it all that much. If I were to say why in a non-spoilery way, a lot of stuff just felt unnecessary and most of the characters weren’t very likeable, in my opinion.

3 Likes

It’s the story of a young Japanese lad trapped in an abusive relationship with a baka gaijin.

3 Likes

I’d actually say Louise was the more likeable character(at least in the first book) :thinking: Maybe the anime is different though

Maybe. I just remember her constantly whiping Saitou to death. That psychopath was committing some war crimes

1 Like

Well, in the book she was mean without a reason like two times at most, and the most she did otherwise was pretty much to be slightly angry after he did some stupid and equally mean stuff, so maybe it is different then

Sounds like they really toned it up for the anime - that’s a relief, because it was honestly in poor taste.

Btw have you read 私の百合はお仕事です?
It’s lowkey kind of hilarious, about a fakely cute girl who’s looking to marry a rich dude but ends up being coerced into working at a concept cafe where all the employees roleplay as the yuri trope of lesbians at a Catholic school.
Thought you might like it because you’re into yuri and it’s never been translated

5 Likes

Nope, but I think I’ve seen it mentioned before, so maybe I’ll check it out sometime

2 Likes

For that there’s also Blend-S. All the characters have to play a role at the cafe but act really differently when not working. The anime adaptation was pretty funny.

2 Likes

Well, except for the main character, who is appointed the role of extreme sadist simply because that’s how she appears when she smiles, without intending to. (It’s a pun, see. ブレンド・S > ブレン・ドS > ドS)

2 Likes

Does ブレン mean anything though?

No more than the うつ in うつ和 does. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Have to appreciate that random German though.

6 Likes