Intermediate Japanese Book Club (Currently reading: コーヒーが冷めないうちに)

Well ebay claims my set of 放浪息子 arrived 40 minutes ago, and yet it’s not here. So that’s fun…

6 Likes

Winter is coming. Also incest is winchest(er).

1 Like

Of the virtues, patiences is my weakest. Or maybe it’s self-control. I feel like those are linked.

Anywho the main thing stopping me from Haruhi is knowing there are a few people in particular who would want to participate but don’t have time.

5 Likes

Ebay how dare you

3 Likes

Why thank you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Okay, here are some polls based on various scenarios. Hopefully I got everything.

First scenario: Only Kino’s Journey is selected. Would you read with the group?

• Yes
  • No
  • Not sure

0 voters

Second scenario: Only Your Name is selected. Would you read with the group? No longer relevant since Kino’s Journey won.

• Yes
  • No
  • Not sure

0 voters

Third scenario: Both Kino’s Journey and Your Name are read at the same time. What would you do?

• Only read Kino’s Journey
  • Only read Your Name
  • Try to read both, but prioritize Kino’s Journey
  • Try to read both, but prioritize Your Name
  • Read neither
  • Not sure

0 voters

Bonus poll: Would you be willing to run the book club for either of those books? That potentially means proposing one or more reading schedules, creating discussion threads for each chapter/week, creating a blank vocab sheet (if there’s interest), etc.

• Yes, for either book
  • Yes, only for Kino’s Journey
  • Yes, only for Your Name
  • No

0 voters

8 Likes

Again, wasn’t actually proposing anything.

But in an ideal world, like I said, those people not voting would be the best for the book club.

Isn’t this irrelevant since it has already been mentioned that just because people are active on the forums and vote for a book, doesn’t mean they will read it. This is literally part of the problem we were addressing.

2 Likes

Well Kino’s Journey sems like a clear winner so far.

Ouch.

6 Likes

Yeah, I think these polls are showing two things right now:

1. The more active members are more inclined to read Kino’s Journey (at least those that are awake right now).
  2. Reading both at the same time would be a huge mistake.
2 Likes

Iol this thread has pretty much convinced me I’m not serious enough to join the Book Club :sweat_smile:

There’s nothing that says you can’t at least try to start reading along if you want to.

10 Likes

Join the Beginner’s Book Club! There’s lots of people of varying commitment levels and they’re nice.

13 Likes

I just ordered キノの旅 :slight_smile: 3€ shipping isn’t too terrible, thanks german amazon

3 Likes

Make sure you got the book and not the manga!

2 Likes

I think you came across as a bit harsher than you may have intended earlier, and I think the people who have been here a while and had negative experiences may have sounded a bit more callous than they intended. They are still nice people though, and I assume the same of you. There are certain people who have been in the book clubs and around for a while and had a negative experience with people dropping out after voting, and I think they were just voicing that view and trying to figure out how to address that to be fair to the people who do end up staying. In the end, they realized that to exclude people or assume how they would behave would not be nice. So on both sides, I think people should just realize that you all are really nice people and have fun reading books even if it is not the books that each of us really want. Compromise is like a pickle, it looks kind of strange, it is not for everyone, but sometimes it pairs well with a sandwich. That said, people could also always read more than one book, and we could always form multiple intermediate groups :slightly_smiling_face:! Anyway, sorry for jumping into a conversation that I was not a part of. You all seem pretty nice, and I think you guys are just misunderstanding each others’ tones so I thought I would add my two euros. :turtle::wave:

18 Likes

Yeah, it’s the right one, i double-checked :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Such a good steed onion turtle

4 Likes

You moved?! :heart_eyes: To where?!

3 Likes

Yeah but then you were being passive aggressive about it.

Yeah, it seems like everyone cares about the book club, but you know how it goes on the internet when people disagree about whats best.

And yeah there was the thing someone posted about thinking angel tenshi preferred if everyone read separate books which just seemed like a huge misunderstanding.

5 Likes