Intermediate Japanese Book Club (Currently reading: コーヒーが冷めないうちに)

The pancreas one :slight_smile:

I think you can vote even if you don’t read all the samples! : o
Also you can skim samples~

2 Likes

Can’t go wrong with Kino’s Journey for round one. Relatively short and slice of life story makes it a good choice as far as I’m concerned.

Yes, excluding those.

1 Like

I’m voting Kino’s because I already have it and told my friend I’d read it. She even gave it to me. ^^;

If we wind up reading a different book, I’ll just keep Kino at work and read whatever gets chosen. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

宝石の国

Summary

Japanese

今から遠い未来、宝石のカラダを持つ28人は、彼らを装飾品にしようと襲い掛かる月人に備えるべく、戦闘や医療などそれぞれの持ち場についていた。月人と戦うことを望みながら、何も役割を与えられていなかったフォスは、宝石たちを束ねる金剛先生から博物誌を編むように頼まれる。

English

In the mysterious future, crystalline organisms called Gems inhabit a world that has been destroyed by six meteors. Each Gem is assigned a role in order to fight against the Lunarians, a species who attacks them in order to shatter their bodies and use them as decorations.

Phosphophyllite, also known as Phos, is a young and fragile Gem who dreams of helping their friends in the war effort. Instead, they are told to compile an encyclopedia because of their delicate condition. After begrudgingly embarking on this task, Phos meets Cinnabar, an intelligent gem who has been relegated to patrolling the isolated island at night because of the corrosive poison their body creates. After seeing how unhappy Cinnabar is, Phos decides to find a role that both of the rejected Gems can enjoy. Houseki no Kuni follows Phos’ efforts to be useful and protect their fellow Gems.

Availability

Personal Opinion

I saw the anime, and it’s perfect. The style in the manga is also beautiful and way more expressive and flexible than that in the anime so I still think reading the manga would offer a fresh and valuable experience.( stolen from my earlier post)

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

• Manga is less stressful to read

Cons

• Only if you haven’t watched the anime yet, I suggest you watch the anime first.

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

4 Likes

I actually picked up a copy of 君の名は when I was in Japan earlier this month, so I might actually attempt to read along if that won.

It’ll be challenging but I would try my best, if it won.

I might even give キノの旅 a go if that were to win as it looks interesting and doesn’t look too hard.

6 Likes

Is it though? I know it was free on a promotion at one point, but I’m not sure if I managed to get it in time. It looks like it’s not free right now.

I went to see the 鋼の錬金術師 live-action movie when I was in Yamagata in 2017 - does that mean I should be nominating that for the book club? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh, My bad. I did get it for free and didn’t realize gomen;

No problem. Apparently I did get it actually, but for eBookJapan (I hadn’t figured out how to get around the region locking on Amazon at the time). eBookJapan is pretty meh and inconvenient, but free is free I suppose.

1 Like

Is it still free?

I also seem to have the first two volumes for free on ebookjapan.
By inconvenient do you mean like for Kindle and stuff?

I don’t think so, but a lot of books go free on ebookjapan, you just need to sift a little through random manga.

1 Like

If I got it from Amazon I could read it on my kindle. With eBookJapan my only options are phone or computer, both of which are less convenient for me.

1 Like

I actually just checked amazon and ebookjapan and neither seems to have the first volume for some reason (or consistently the rest of the series). So I’ll give it a pass this time.
I may nominate another manga by them for the next vote though, we’ll see.

Also yay, voting soon :smile:

1 Like

メイドインアビス

(Made in Abyss)

(not “Maid” in Abyss)

Summary

Japanese

限界深度2万メートル以上!?
人類最後の未踏の深淵には何があるのか…?

隅々まで探索されつくした世界に、唯一残された秘境の大穴『アビス』。どこまで続くとも知れない深く巨大なその縦穴には、奇妙奇怪な生物たちが生息し、今の人類では作りえない貴重な遺物が眠っている。
「アビス」の不可思議に満ちた姿は人々を魅了し冒険へと駆り立てた。そうして幾度も大穴に挑戦する冒険者たちは、次第に『探窟家』呼ばれるようになっていった。

アビスの縁に築かれた街『オース』に暮らす孤児のリコは、いつか母のような偉大な探窟家になり、アビスの謎を解き明かすことを夢見ていた。そんなある日、リコはアビスを探窟中に、少年の姿をしたロボットを拾い…?

English

In an age when the corners of the world have been scoured for their secrets, only one place remains unexplored – a massive cave system known as the Abyss, filled with monstrous creatures and lost relics. Those who delve into its depths are known as Cave Raiders. A young orphan named Riko dreams of following in her mother’s footsteps as a Cave Raider, and when she meets a strange robot while exploring the Abyss, she is one perilous step closer to achieving her goal!

Availability

Amazon
eBook Japan

Personal Opinion

I first encountered this one from the anime, and was utterly entranced by the incredible backgrounds - almost at the level of a Shinkai film. Then the story itself captured me.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Lots o’ words to learn, but aside from monster names, it’s not packed full of obscure technical terms.
  • Amazing art, wonderful story.

Cons

• It’s… a little dark. For example, the first episode of the anime makes a joke about Riko being strung up naked as a punishment. The manga shows it actually being done.

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

IMG_4884

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

8 Likes

P.S. I had a flip through the preview for Fullmetal Alchemist on Amazon, and I’m wondering if maybe it’s a beginner-level book. Furigana everywhere. I reckon I’ll pick up a physical copy next time I’m in Kinokuniya and have a detailed read through it.

3 Likes

9 Likes

But you guys can whistle through the manga in less than two months and be tackling the books by April! Okay, maybe May, if you leave time for shipping…

1 Like

Actually, I feel like I’d rather have the manga lose, so that I can whistle through them in one sitting :thinking:
has no self-control

5 Likes