Intermediate Japanese Book Club (Currently reading: コーヒーが冷めないうちに)

The OP says the Discord was “just used for occasional voice chats”.

Also, I’m happy to add the rest of the nominations to the OP, but they might not all get done this evening.

1 Like

I’ll be seriously struggling to decide once the times comes.

1 Like

I personally also want to vote for pretty much everything, but I’m guessing I won’t actually be able to do that! Though I guess voting for nothing would have the same result…

1 Like

It might. Editing the table in beginner book club is such a pain because there’s so much information.

1 Like

I think there’s a limited amount of votes you can give… guess I’ll just use all of those xD

1 Like

In beginner book club we used to allow unlimited votes, but since now I wanted to start eliminating unpopular nominees I limited it to 8. Keep in mind that the maximum number of poll options is 20. What should we do here?

• 1 vote
  • 3 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 10 votes
  • More than 10 votes (but not unlimited)
  • Unlimited votes

0 voters

1 Like

The average number of votes per person in the current beginner poll is 4, so…!

I don’t have any preference. It’s really nice to have activity back here again.

I think it was 3 pages a day. So not much more. I just read other things concurrently to make up the time.

2 Likes

As soon as possible??

1 Like

I think the max number of votes should be half of the books the are nominated. In other words, if there are 10 nominees, then only 5 votes.

4 Likes

What’s the rush? If you’re worried about ordering stuff together, anything picked by the beginner book club should be easy enough to catch up on if you end up getting that book a week or two late.

1 Like

I cant read names either, but my proper nouns anki deck says the most common reading (95%) for 裕司 is ゆうじ. It can very rarely (5%) also be read ひろし. So, I’d wager it is Yuuji.

1 Like

I don’t know if I was the person you meant to tag, but :+1: for Python scripting!

1 Like

I was also thinking about writing some code for the ratings calculations. What about a userscript that would do that?

2 Likes

There’s an interesting thought for a possible IJBC nomination…

1 Like

I meant to do that but I never got around to it.

Perhaps that would be more suited for an Advanced Japanese Book Club :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hard pass for me. I have no interest in reading a non-Japanese book translated into Japanese.

8 Likes

@seanblue I’ve done a quick trial of a drop-down format alternative for the nominations in the OP. As you’re the one with the most experience editing the nominations, do you think this would be an improvement?

Probably should remove the table if it’s just a single entry. It looks a bit weird as is.