Intermediate Japanese Book Club (Currently reading: コーヒーが冷めないうちに)

It may not be possible, but it would be super helpful to have a decision in time to order both books at the same time (for beginner and intermediate club) for those that read in both clubs (e.g. probably me, I don’t actually know if anyone is planning to do the same).
I think the beginners is starting the next book sort of mid February, so maybe that’s not actually feasible, but I thought I’d bring it up…

Again, I’m also happy to help out a bit if it helps kick things off earlier

4 Likes

Glad you said that! Actually I read the first page, and although I knew most of the words and most of the grammar, it did not feel like I really understood what the text was supposed to mean… So if it gets picked, brace yourself for lots of questions from my side :joy_cat:

2 Likes

I actually don’t think I’ve ever seen that written in Japanese before. Romaji, sure, but not proper Japanese.

2 Likes

You could always have a quick vote and then a long lead-time on starting to read. That would still require someone to add all the nominations to the OP, set up the poll (calculating the difficulty scores) and then collate purchasing information afterwards.

I’m essentially just a glorified lurker in this club though :grin:

2 Likes

I’m planning to start adding nominations to the OP from tomorrow.
I also just made an ugly python script to compute difficulty averages, so it should not take too much time to do that.
I don’t know about the purchasing info, I guess we’ll see when we get there.

@Darcinon I don’t know if it’s such a good plan to have both start at the same time, since that might prevent some people who are on the fence from joining both. I’d say we could start one or two weeks later, so that such people have first time to get in the grove of things. Plus, that would require a tight tight schedule otherwise.

8 Likes

青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない

Summary

In Japanese:

Summary

――ねえ、キスしよっか。そう言って僕をからかってきた彼女は、しばらくして僕の前から消えてしまった。 図書館にバニーガールは棲息していない。その常識を覆し、梓川咲太は野生のバニーガールに出会った。しかも彼女はただのバニーではない。咲太の高校の上級生にして、活動休止中の人気タレント桜島麻衣先輩だったのだ。数日前から彼女の姿が“周囲の人間に見えない”という事象が起こり、図書館でその検証をしていたという。咲太は麻衣に協力する名目で彼女とお近づきになるが――? 海と空に囲まれた町で、僕と彼女の恋にまつわる物語が始まる。

In English(I’m too lazy to write something myself, this is copied from tvtropes):

Summary

Sakuta Azusagawa’s life takes a turn for the unexpected when he meets teenage actress Mai Sakurajima after she wanders into a public library while dressed in a bunny suit and realizes only he can see her. Mai admits she has taken a hiatus from her acting duties and has been attempting to live a normal life, but people are unable to see her, except for Sakuta, who is no stranger to this phenomenon, which he calls “Adolescence Syndrome”.

Availability

Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.jp/青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない-電撃文庫-鴨志田-一/dp/4048664875/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1547978035&sr=1-4&keywords=青春ブタヤロウ
ebook(also on kindle): https://www.ebookjapan.jp/ebj/258707/

Personal Opinion

To be honest, I mostly want to read this because of the anime. Quite a bit was supposedly cut out, so I figured it’d be nice to read the actual book. It also seems to have gotten fairly good reviews on Amazon, so it seems like at least some people think it’s a good book too. Beyond that, it also has both romance and some supernatural stuff, two things I tend to like in books.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Not the kind of story the title made me think it would be
  • Has a vocab list on floflo
  • Has some furigana

Cons

• Really long at 360 pages(but very precisely 350 if you don’t count the pictures!)

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Summary

Additional Pages

Summary

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

1 Like

Also, I didn’t realise it said 360 pages instead of 350 until after I had written the rest of it, so I figured I’d post it anyway and let everyone else decide what to do with the nomination(It does seem to have about 10 pictures though, so if you just count the text it will be very precisely 350 pages).

2 Likes

Just finished the show (literally a few hours ago). Hecka down to read it and I definitely thought it was a really good story.

Although I may whine about the pace of 2 pages per day if we read it though, since I think taking nearly half a year to read one book is a bit long >_>

3 Likes

The trick is to read other stuff at the same time.
I read the week’s chapter of ARIA and 時をかける少女 the day it’s “available”. It’s like watching a show on TV.
The rest of the time, I’m just reading what ever I feel like (the webnovel LV.999の村人 at the moment)

2 Likes

How about the increasing speed approach used for 時をかける少女?

2 Likes

Right, and I would be reading/translating oreshura alongside it so I wasnt worried about that. Ive definitely got other stuff I can put my time into. Its more like I just will be interested in the story and am a bit impatient.

If thats anything like im imagining, it sounds like it could be hilarious lol.

2 Likes

We should double what we read each day. By day fifteen, we’ll already be reading a hundred books per day. :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

It was at the start, but then it got more serious.
It’s also of a much lower quality than professional stuff (similar to how a webcomic is pretty far from the quality of a professional comic). Still, pretty nice. It’s a bit of a one punch man kind of story, set in a fantasy world.

1 Like

君の膵臓を食べたい

Summary

ある日、高校生の僕は病院で一冊の文庫本を拾う。タイトルは「共病文庫」。それはクラスメイトである山内桜良が綴った、秘密の日記帳だった。そこには、彼女の余命が膵臓の病気により、もういくばくもないと書かれていて―。読後、きっとこのタイトルに涙する。「名前のない僕」と「日常のない彼女」が織りなす、大ベストセラー青春小説!

A high school boy finds the diary of his classmate―only to discover that she’s dying. Yamauchi Sakura has been silently suffering from a pancreatic disease, and now exactly one person outside her family knows. He swears to her that he won’t tell anyone what he learned, and the shared secret brings them closer together in this deeply moving, first-person story that traces their developing relationship in Sakura’s final months of life.

Availability

Amazon has both physical and e-book versions:

Personal Opinion

I haven’t read the book before, so I can’t attest to how good it is personally, but I recently did a book review lesson at a Japanese high school, and many of the students highly recommended this book. It’s pretty popular right now, and even has a movie adaptation.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• It’s hip with the kids.

• It’s set in a real world setting, so there should be more everyday vocabulary in it.

• I really want to read it. :wink:

Cons

• I don’t know how deep they get on the medical terminology, so it’s possible there will be some dense pages to get through (Didn’t see anything too difficult on a quick skim through).

Pictures

(Sorry for low quality)

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

3 Likes

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA BEST SUGGESTION EVEEEEEEEEEEER

We can now close nominations guys. It has been decided.

5 Likes

Let’s just hope the others are as enthusiastic as we are :grin:

1 Like

Do I need to do the whole template thing if I’m nominating Kino’s journey? It’s been nominated many times now iirc :stuck_out_tongue:

Aside from that, I’d also be down to read zero no tsukaima (sorry for the romaji, don’t have an IME atm :stuck_out_tongue: ), bought both while in Japan so either would be fine with me :smiley:

I’ve been meaning to watch the movie, sure. Dunno if I’d call it the best suggestion ever, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, the English translation of the novel was released here last November, and the manga version comes out this week…

Did you just do that because you didn’t like the cover…?

1 Like

Guess that means we’re going to have to fight then! Q(o_oQ)