Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

I also seem to have the first two volumes for free on ebookjapan.
By inconvenient do you mean like for Kindle and stuff?

I don’t think so, but a lot of books go free on ebookjapan, you just need to sift a little through random manga.

1 Like

If I got it from Amazon I could read it on my kindle. With eBookJapan my only options are phone or computer, both of which are less convenient for me.

1 Like

I actually just checked amazon and ebookjapan and neither seems to have the first volume for some reason (or consistently the rest of the series). So I’ll give it a pass this time.
I may nominate another manga by them for the next vote though, we’ll see.

Also yay, voting soon :smile:

1 Like

メイドインアビス

(Made in Abyss)

(not “Maid” in Abyss)

Summary

Japanese

限界深度2万メートル以上!?
人類最後の未踏の深淵には何があるのか…?

隅々まで探索されつくした世界に、唯一残された秘境の大穴『アビス』。どこまで続くとも知れない深く巨大なその縦穴には、奇妙奇怪な生物たちが生息し、今の人類では作りえない貴重な遺物が眠っている。
「アビス」の不可思議に満ちた姿は人々を魅了し冒険へと駆り立てた。そうして幾度も大穴に挑戦する冒険者たちは、次第に『探窟家』呼ばれるようになっていった。

アビスの縁に築かれた街『オース』に暮らす孤児のリコは、いつか母のような偉大な探窟家になり、アビスの謎を解き明かすことを夢見ていた。そんなある日、リコはアビスを探窟中に、少年の姿をしたロボットを拾い…?

English

In an age when the corners of the world have been scoured for their secrets, only one place remains unexplored – a massive cave system known as the Abyss, filled with monstrous creatures and lost relics. Those who delve into its depths are known as Cave Raiders. A young orphan named Riko dreams of following in her mother’s footsteps as a Cave Raider, and when she meets a strange robot while exploring the Abyss, she is one perilous step closer to achieving her goal!

Availability

Amazon
eBook Japan

Personal Opinion

I first encountered this one from the anime, and was utterly entranced by the incredible backgrounds - almost at the level of a Shinkai film. Then the story itself captured me.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Lots o’ words to learn, but aside from monster names, it’s not packed full of obscure technical terms.
  • Amazing art, wonderful story.

Cons

• It’s… a little dark. For example, the first episode of the anime makes a joke about Riko being strung up naked as a punishment. The manga shows it actually being done.

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

8 Likes

P.S. I had a flip through the preview for Fullmetal Alchemist on Amazon, and I’m wondering if maybe it’s a beginner-level book. Furigana everywhere. I reckon I’ll pick up a physical copy next time I’m in Kinokuniya and have a detailed read through it.

3 Likes

9 Likes

But you guys can whistle through the manga in less than two months and be tackling the books by April! Okay, maybe May, if you leave time for shipping…

1 Like

Actually, I feel like I’d rather have the manga lose, so that I can whistle through them in one sitting :thinking:
has no self-control

5 Likes

The option for 5 votes seems to be winning the poll though :thinking:

3 Likes

… oh.

2 Likes

Yeah, 5 votes. Much better than 3, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It is! Since I do have 5 things I really want to read in the mix (plus a bunch that I don’t mind reading, but not care about enough to cry over not being able to vote for them.
It was both fun and stressful debating with myself which 2 should I cut; the anti-climatic conclusion being that I don’t need to cut anything.

7 Likes

which which which

1 Like

Yes, tell us tell us!

1 Like

I… don’t see why it’s interesting, but sure. In no particular order

• キノの旅 (mostly because I nominated it originally)
  • 紅霞後宮物語 (because the friend who recommended it to me keep asking if I have read it yet :upside_down_face:)
  • 夜市 (I really liked autumn prison by the same author)
  • 宝石の国 (looks interesting; also I kinda requested the nomination)
  • 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 (OBEY)
4 Likes

But AngelTenshi specifically said to watch the anime first. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I can watch it between the moment we vote and the moment we start reading.

5 Likes

I now have too many books I’m not reading in case they win.

Edit: Although I’m also pretty absorbed in (Japanese) Bravely Default and will soon be absorbed in (Japanese) REmake2 so it’s not all bad.

9 Likes

So… is the nomination deadline still the 27th?

Well, I just quickly checked, and every pending nominations have been submitted or canceled.
Not only have I read all the samples, but I also know what I want to vote for, so yeah, we can start the vote.
I’m still going to give one last chance to the lurkers out there, just in case.

2 Likes