Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

While I’m not interested enough to vote for it, I’d probably read it if it wins

1 Like

Hahaha :joy::joy: sure looks like it, doesn’t it? XD

I for one would read it. I own it and anything that I own I will obviously read if it wins.
I also voted for it since I bought it a while ago (only voted for stuff I own this time around too, hoping to avoid another amazon japan splurge :joy:)

4 Likes

I hope some people don’t change their voting later just to let the meme live. I actually want to read Your Name :joy:

10 Likes

I’ve long wanted to get into reading Japanese novels but was busy with JLPT prep. Well now that JLPT is over next weekend I want to try joining the book club. Not sure I can keep up but will do my best :sweat_smile:

氷菓 sounds interesting and I’ll be going in without knowing anything about it.

I’ve seen 君の名は already and to be honest I’m not a huge fan. It’s art is pretty but the story is fairly generic, so I have little interest in reading the book.

It’s a shame so few people want to read Boogiepop. Being able to read the series was one of my original motivations behind learning Japanese.

4 Likes

I also would be joining for the first time–I actually dug out my old unused account here just because I heard there are book clubs. :smiley: Once the JLPT is over, I’ll have more time to devote to other kinds of study, and as long as I can get the chosen book as an ebook, I will read whichever one is picked. Looking forward to it!

10 Likes

Welcome!

Seriously? Where did you hear that? :astonished:Are we becoming Internet famous?

10 Likes

Don’t forget we’re already shaping the buying trends of several internet booksellers.

7 Likes

I’m genuinely surprised some of them haven’t already made fake accounts to promote random books no-one would buy otherwise.

*Looks at own track record of unsuccessful submissions*
Maybe it wouldn’t actually work.

7 Likes

I already read the first story of 夜市. It’s was very comfortable to read, way more so than the autumn prison book. It might be because this is my 6th book. It was also just a very good story and I really enjoyed it as much as the stories from autumn prison. I’m reading the second one, and there’s only two I believe, and so far it seems to be a bout a boy talking about some road where monsters may or may not come out on at night. There’s no synopsis for the second story so that’s all I know so far.

I really want to read boogiepop as well and I’d be down to start/join a boogiepop club with the other 4 ppl who want to read it.

4 Likes

Nope, nevermind. @NicoleIsEnough is helping keeping the meme alive :joy:

4 Likes

I already have the first book, so I’d also be up for that.

(For a random only slightly related thing, the previous owner of the used copy I bought was even kind enough to include an appropriately themed bookmark)

2 Likes

Actually I initially voted for 氷菓 but withdrew my vote to help Your Name win. But then I realized that the gap was too wide already. I mean, it does not really matter in the end and I do want to read 氷菓 as well. So I put my vote back on.

4 Likes

Such a complicated game you play.

5 Likes

@Naphthalene When will we be starting the next book? January 4th or 11th?

Isn’t that 0 weeks or 1 week?

1 Like

Yep, Kitchen ends on Jan 3rd.

1 Like

Oh :thinking:
Well, then. I can’t edit the poll anymore anyway…

Maybe you can clarify in the post what the poll means now? Is the start date what we should vote for, or the number of weeks?

Let’s just start over.
Sorry @Jakeb and @brrricane. Please vote again.

When should we start the next book?

• Jan 4th (no break)
  • Jan 11th (1 week break)
  • Jan 18th (2 weeks break)

0 voters

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure I found the masterlist of book clubs through a google search for something or other. This doesn’t rule out the possibility that you guys are internet famous, of course!

10 Likes