Insignificant feedback regarding 土砂 - reading どさ should be added?

Hello,

Wanikani teaches どしゃ as a reading for 土砂 .
The reading どさ for 土砂 is accepted.
A quick check to the vocabulary revealed that it is ALSO correct.

I never noticed before that a reading not listed in wanikani could be accepted.
Is this an exception, something that only happens here due to unforseen circumstances, or does it also happen elsewhere?

Thank you!

There are meanings and readings, that, while not shown are still accepted. In the weekly content updates I believe they differentiate these by calling them primary and secondary meanings/readings for shown meanings/readings and accepted meanings/readings for those that aren’t shown. There’s also a block list for meanings that would otherwise work because of the typo leniency system, but are incorrect.
This allow list makes it possible to for example type in 100000000 instead of one hundred million, which I love.

Check out the most recent content update thread to see examples.

5 Likes

I was shocked when you said they accept it. It’s completely new to me.

It’s in Koujien, but it’s not in any of the dictionaries aggregated by weblio.

I’ve never heard anyone say どさ ever.

I hope no one is memorizing it as どさ.

6 Likes

That’s why I felt the need of pointing that out.

I am aware of meaning typos (discussed by @Gorbit99)
but here it is something else entirely.
This a hidden, borderline correct (incorrect?) reading.

It might mean that Wanikani should consider a ban list for readings too.
Who cares if the only word this applies to is 土砂. But if there are other more important cases, it might be relevant…
That’s why I humbly ask to the Crabigator itself!

Also, is there a badge for shocking @Leebo? It really feels like a memorable achievement ^^

3 Likes

I don’t think you’ve read my answer thoroughly enough. Edited it to make it a bit clearer

Well, taking a closer look at the source you gave me: there is a similar case

And in fact, they added ねんちゅう to the warning list, even though it appears to be correct according to Jisho.com, under other forms

I might have to change the question to “Why is ねんちゅう in the warning list and どさ is not?”, but at the end of the day, the issue stands.

To be honest, It has been a long time since the “reading warning” triggered for me. I forgot it existed. Nevertheless, looking a the two examples at hand (one in the warning list, the other no), there is no One trick rule for it, so I am left wondering what the rationale is.

The anser could simply be: “we will add it to the warning list”; “we will add it as explicit secondary reading”; “we just deemed it frequent enough to leave it correct, but adding it was not a priority”
Mine is just curiosity

1 Like

It’s explicitly set as correct. That’s what the allow list is for.

I think the difference between this and ねんちゅう is that the latter is a completely different word, it has a different meaning, which isn’t what WK teaches, while “どさ” means the same thing, it’s just a rare pronunciation.

But I just posted a picture showing that ねんちゅう is in fact correct…

Can you take a dictionary, do your review, and try to answer with any correct reading that is not on Wanikani and report the result, please? I would do it but I don’t have reviews right now

(my answer above sounds horrible, but I am not gonna change it for the sake of truth. I do still have the feelings we are missing eachother point, at the very least. )

I just did my reviews and I found 3ish cases of interest (In just under 80 vocab reviews):

永久 (えいきゅう on WK) has とこしえ and とわ as other forms on the dictionary. None of them is accepted by WK.
小舟 (こぶね on WK) has おぶね as other forms on the dictionary. It is not accepted by WK.
甲斐性(かいしょう on WK) has かいしょ as other forms on the dictionary. It is not accepted by WK.

擦る (こする) and 擦る (する) are both taught and accepted explicitly by WK, but they also have differen entries on the dictionary.

土砂 looks like a chimera. I really don’t understand it.
What is the criteria some Correct other forms items ends up in the list and others do not?

So, essentially, there is an invisible “allow list”?
But then it becomes dangerous. If something useless and borderline wrong (such as 土砂) ends up in there, it might impact someone learning.

edit: added case 甲斐性

1 Like

Hi @SoulLessPuppet, thanks for pointing this out!

どさ was on the allow list because it is technically correct, so we wanted to mark it as such, but we didn’t want to teach it by making it visible. As your use case has proven, though, that can be confusing if the reading is entered by mistake. I’ve now moved どさ to the reading warning list, with the message “That’s possible but rare. What’s a much more common reading?” so that now, if you enter どさ, it will produce a shake animation and display that message.

I hope that fixes the issue. Thanks again for your feedback! :slight_smile:

Edit: I’ll have a look at your other examples and make the necessary changes there too.

6 Likes

The fix came in just as I did my 2 weeks review! Perfect!
Thank you for indulging my pet peeve eheh :smile:

As I mentioned, I don’t really care about 土砂, as much as to understand whether there was a systemic problem. Which there isn’t! So I am perfeclty happy with it

I am actually glad it was a pinpoint issue, as it also means less work for you ^^

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.