"in x time" grammar

Hello everyone.

I have a few questions and I’m having trouble finding satisfying answers on Google, I’m hoping someone can help me.

1. How would I go about saying “The test is in 3 days”, “I will go in 6 months”, etc?
    I know that “ago” is 前に, but 後に gives me “x time later” or “after x time”, so is 「試験は三日間後です。」or 「三日間後には試験です。」also correct if I want to say “The test is in 3 days.” ?

2. I saw examples where there was no 間 so I don’t know if I should use it or not.

3. (Assuming the grammar is correct) Is 後 pronounced ご or あと when used like that ?

2 Likes

Personally, I’d phrase it as: 今から3日後に試験があります。

Of these, I’d say your second sentence is “more correct”, though I still think it should use the verb ある instead of the copula. (三日間後には試験があります。)

The first sentence doesn’t make complete sense to me but I can’t accurately explain why. I think it may have to do with the fact that there’s a period of time (三日間後) and then the copula. I think, usually, a period of time would follow a particle (に、で、が) and then followed by a verb. But, I’m hoping someone else can come in and better explain this.

It would be pronounced ご in all of the above examples. It would be pronounced あと when used in a sentence like: “6時半に朝ご飯を食べて、後で会社に行きます。”

That’s just my view :man_shrugging:, but I’m sure someone else will drop in and better assist. Good luck!

2 Likes

I would just say「試験まで(あと)三日です。」That sounds natural to me.
I think you can also say it as「試験は今日の三日後です。」

Seconded.

3 Likes

@charlesfm @Gsai thanks a lot! As for 間, do you know if there is any rule for using it ?

Disclaimer: this is just my intuition. I’m pretty sure about it, but if anyone has a different opinion please correct me.

In my experience, 間 usually refers to an interval of time, while 後 refers to a specific point in time.

For example, 「今日から三日間は東京にいます。」(I’m in Tokyo for the next three days.)

And for 後,「今日の三日後に東京に行きます。」(I’ll go to Tokyo in three days.)

I don’t think it’s usual to use both 後 and 間 in one sentence. I’m sure you could find a way to arrange a sentence with both of them though.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Seconded.
X______Gsai__________

It can also be used in other things, like denoting “PM” when describing a specific time, i.e. 6:00 pm would be 午後6時.

Hmm, you can do this pretty easily, I think. For example, in a sentence like: まず昼寝した。で交通がありますから仕事へ行きに3時かかります。, where the 後 (あと) is used for a specific point in time (after, afterwards [after the nap]), and the 間 (かん) is used for an interval of time, in this case, 3 hours of time.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I should have been more clear.

@Ephora : I forgot to mention this, but it’s important to note that 一時間後 and 一週間後 are both exceptions to this rule.

2 Likes

Crossposting the answers from the Bunpro forums.

3 Likes

Thanks for that :stuck_out_tongue:

A question/comment on this: It has been my understanding that time indicators like 3日, and all the other days of the month, already have both meanings of the specific day (3rd of the month), as well as the time frame (three days). Would the extra 間 in that case not be superfluous? In which situation would you be permitted to include it? To remove ambiguity? For further clarification?

2 Likes

You’re right about this. There are many instances where 三日 refers to an interval spanning three days similar to 三日間 (you would say 三日が経った).

However, at least in the case of 三日後, I think it is more exclusive. A google search for 三日後 yields 500,000 results, while one for 三日間後 yields only 847. I’m not 100% sure of any nuances that might be added by including the 間 (I would recommend asking a native speaker on HiNative), but from that information alone, I would assume that in most (if not all) cases 三日後 would be more appropriate.

I’m sorry I can’t answer your question more decisively :frowning: I would definitely recommend asking on HiNative or just asking a native speaker. If you find anything out, please let me know because I’m curious :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I asked Misa from Japanese Ammo and she corrected my 「三日間後」 with 「三日後」 too. She also said that hours and weeks are exceptions as you told me.

2 Likes

Thank for the setsumei!

My question was more, leaving the 後 aside, is putting the 間 after words like 3日 ever permitted, and if so, in which situations. I will ask my Japanese teacher and get back to you!

2 Likes

So my teacher agrees that 3日間後 is wrong, and that the 間 in 3日間 is optional with no real differences in nuance.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for researching! That’s interesting.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.