Importing to HouHou

Hello! So I’m trying to import a bunch of vocab into HouHou and I’m having a bit of trouble. It says to use a csv file, but in Microsoft Excel there’s multiple options for different csv files.  Which one do I use/works best?

^ Also what file encoding do I use? When importing to HouHou

Hi! The issue here is that Excel is really stupid when it comes to CSV. Exporting to CSV with Excel doesn’t even offer you the choice of encoding afaik.
A way to make your import work would be to export from Excel using the “Unicode Text (*.txt)” option, which will export your data to the CSV format using a tab as a delimiter.
Now the problem is, you can’t tell Houhou to use a tab as a separator. So you’ll have to replace the tabs in your file by some character like ; for example. To do that, open the file produced by Excel with your favorite text editor, use the Ctrl+H shortcut, and replace tabs (copy/paste the tab in the field if you can’t input it) by ‘;’. Then save your file.
Once you’ve done that, you can use it in Houhou using the field delimiter you chose (; in our example). As for the encoding, UTF8 is probably fine.

It’s needlessly complicated, but it’s mostly Excel’s fault for not allowing you to select the output encoding.

Anyway, next time you need support on Houhou, send me a mail directly at hello@houhou-srs.com, that way I can’t miss it and will usually answer faster.

EDIT: FYI, if you export with the “CSV” option in Excel, you’ll get a file encoded in ansi, which isn’t any good for Japanese characters.

Doublevil said... Hi! The issue here is that Excel is really stupid when it comes to CSV. Exporting to CSV with Excel doesn't even offer you the choice of encoding afaik.
A way to make your import work would be to export from Excel using the "Unicode Text (*.txt)" option, which will export your data to the CSV format using a tab as a delimiter.
Now the problem is, you can't tell Houhou to use a tab as a separator. So you'll have to replace the tabs in your file by some character like ; for example. To do that, open the file produced by Excel with your favorite text editor, use the Ctrl+H shortcut, and replace tabs (copy/paste the tab in the field if you can't input it) by ';'. Then save your file.
Once you've done that, you can use it in Houhou using the field delimiter you chose (; in our example). As for the encoding, UTF8 is probably fine.

It's needlessly complicated, but it's mostly Excel's fault for not allowing you to select the output encoding.

Anyway, next time you need support on Houhou, send me a mail directly at hello@houhou-srs.com, that way I can't miss it and will usually answer faster.

EDIT: FYI, if you export with the "CSV" option in Excel, you'll get a file encoded in ansi, which isn't any good for Japanese characters.
 Ahh Thank you so much!