Immerse more in Listening & reading

This has a list of light novels that might interest you guys.

Also I for those who game, I highly recommend turning your settings into Japanese/play a simpler game (like Pokemon) in Japanese. Helps a lot to find vocab and for listening.

I recently read that flashcard retention is actually bad, what toy guys think about that?

I came across this rocket langague blog, do you think this is an good course?

I think you’ll need to elaborate a bit more, because that is a pretty broad statement :thinking:

I saw it on the rocket language blog, about learning chunks of pieces of a language through flashcards for example needs more processing time for your brain, because you need to construct everything piece by piece.

flashcards are good for cramming. in other words, they are good for learning a whole lot of similar things, like we do here with wanikani.

however, they will not teach you a language. for learning how a language actually works, what sentences are supposed to feel like, you need lots of exposure. you get that through listening and reading, and possibly talking with natives.

my suggestion is to find something you actually enjoy reading, and is not too difficult. it should be a challenge, but a challenge you can master. and then read a bit every day. not only will it be enjoyable and fun, it will also take the stuff we learn from flashcards and put it into a real context.

Yea I have noticed that I can read level 0 grade readers, actually pretty amazing that I made progress.

Flashcards work for me because I will remember the words, even though I don’t know how to use it correctly. When I expose myself to Japanese media, I would recognise these words when they are used, and I would then know how to use it myself (by copying how they use it). If I skip the flashcards, I would not be able to remember those words in the first place.

So it sounds like you want to immerse yourself in listening and reading, but the resources you have do not interest you. At the end of the day, either you try to fall in love with the boredom or you keep trying to find something that you find interesting.

Here are some of my recommendations:

Podcast
Go to Spotify and search for podcasts having the title “japanese” in it. You’ll find a ton. I don’t listen to podcasts anymore, but in the past, I used to enjoy “Let’s learn Japanese from small talk!” a lot. The hosts are two university students who went for an exchange in UK. Because they are young, the topics they talk about cater to younger audience. And because they are not teachers, they do not try to speak slowly to you. They tend to speak quite fast at times. Sometimes you learn about slangs that young people use nowadays, or things that the youngsters like, and I find that interesting.

If you like stories, you can also try “JLPT Stories” that has different short stories categorised by different JLPT levels.

Video
Top Japanese YouTubers like Hikakin or Kinoshita Yuka or Hanae Natsuki (Demon Slayer’s Tanjirou’s voice actor) sometimes have captions on their videos, so even if you can’t really catch what they’re saying, you can still read the captions. It will be good to practice your listening and reading. The problem is finding the YouTubers that you like.

If you like VTubers, search the link of their video on YouTube to get the clips of the video, and watch the ones that have captions. For example, if the link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOmHkZQfcik you can put yOmHkZQfcik in the search bar and there will be clips of the video. The clips sometimes have Japanese captions added by the clipper. Sometimes you will also see the English translated version of said clips, so you can use it to study as well.

If you like Japanese TV programs, you can watch it in YouTube or Bilibili. The ones that I really like recently are quiz show Toudaiou and Getsuyou Kara Yofukashi. They have captions at the bottom, so you can use these videos to practice listening and reading.

You can also watch Japanese shows on Netflix with Japanese subtitle.

Novel
You can use BookWalker to buy books in Japanese, then you can join the reading club. For free materials, the Aozora Bunko mentioned above has a lot of good books. You can see the most popular (most accessed) books here. Recently I used it to read The Little Prince in Japanese.

Manga
You can use BookWalker to buy manga. If you’re not ready to commit, you can read some manga in manga1000.com. But please buy the book if you like it.

2 Likes