I'm going to Japan for the first time

Hello,

Yes, like the topic says, in two days I’ll be going to Japan for the first time. Naturally, I’m pretty excited to say at least and I hope to be able to put my meager skills to at least to some use.

I’m well aware of most things, like customs and such, but I’d like a small piece of advise from native Japanese speakers or someone with more experience than me: In general, do locals appreciate me even trying to speak Japanese, even if I may make mistakes, or do they find it uncomfortable? I’ll be mostly staying at Tokyo/Kanto region.

Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

Yes, they do appreciate. You’ll be complimented no matter your level.

1 Like

The only country I found (in my limited experience) where the locals don’t appreciate someone speaking broken language is France.

4 Likes

No joke. I tried French, got a shoulder shrug. Tried Spanish, and the lady suddenly became much more helpful. I guess they’ll let me mess up “someone else’s” language.

2 Likes

Congratulations on your trip, by the way. How long will you be there?

1 Like

Thanks! Two weeks, starting 11th.

1 Like

@lamarozzo @chasekitsune

Where were you in France ?

1 Like

All over the place, but that particular interaction was in Paris.

3 Likes

Have fun there :slight_smile: and good luck!

1 Like
4 Likes

Yes they do, at least in my experience. Someone even mentioned that usually foreigners just talked to them in English and expected a response, so they really appreciated that I was at least trying to learn their language.

1 Like

We are going in five weeks. Would be interested in hearing about your experiences.

Re the French. Is it just native English speakers that get treated with disdain when they try to speak French or do they do it to everyone?

1 Like

I know someone from South Africa who visited France. At first they were treated with distain because it was assumed they were English but once it came up in conversation that they were actually South African they were a lot more friendly so I think it mostly depends where you’re from.

2 Likes

Let me clarify before this gets out of control. French people are very nice people. It happens to find some that have a lot of pride in their language, which is totally fine. There are plenty willing to help anyone with bad French. My comment was more an observational joke really.

1 Like

Ditto. My time was great, and again, once I tried Spanish, the one negative person turned around.

1 Like

I’m back! I had a great time in general, but here are few quick thoughts:

• Very clean, everything works.
  • Very safe
  • People are quiet but friendly, nobody over 30 speaks english.
  • Very hot and humid, but AC everywhere
  • Cash is king, take a lot. You won’t need credit cards.
  • Transport is cheap, especially trains. Buy a Suica and use that to get around. Prepare for crowds in stations and trains at certain times.
5 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Ahhh I’m living in Japan for the next three years and I am fumbling through the language. Someone suggested wanikani so here I am! I’m so glad you were able to enjoy some time in this wonderful country and everything you listed is so true! It’s so strange having to pull cash out all the time but it’s the only way to do anything. I just hope I’ll be able to use coins better after some more time :grimacing:

2 Likes

Oh, that’s so true! Coins are like a mini game. For first few days, I ended up with huge amount of small change without any idea what to do with them. I got a bit better, but still didn’t find a way to use or not to get a lot of 1 & 5 yen coins. :grimacing:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.