If you do 1000 reviews at once, will the algorithm stagger future reviews, or are you dooming yourself to getting an avalanche of reviews again in the future?

If you do 1000 reviews at once, will the algorithm stagger future reviews, or are you dooming yourself to getting an avalanche of reviews again in the future?

I know that the status of the individual reviews (whether they are Apprentice, Guru, etc.) will automatically stagger the reviews to an extent, but basically, if I had 1000 Apprentice-level reviews to do today, and I got 80% of them correct, would that mean that some interval in the future I’d get hit with an avalanche of 800 reviews?

Is there wisdom in intentionally spreading out the reviews instead of doing them all at once? Or am I just itching for a reason to justify not sitting down and doing them all in one go?

2 Likes

You will be hit with an avalanche as you suspected. Here is a post I made not long ago that outlines what I’ve found is the best way to tackle large backlogs from prior experience:

Please let me know if you ever do 1000 reviews in one day. The most I ever managed to do was I think 600 in one day. It gets to a point fairly quickly we’re you just get so exhausted by it all. For me that’s like 200 reviews or more. But yes if you do 1000 reviews in a day and they are all say Guru 1. Then at an 80% success rate, in 2 weeks you will have 800 reviews go into your pile all at once (or well within the span of a few hours. I would be even more amazed if you managed to do 1000 reviews at 80% correct within an hour. especially considering that’s at least 2200 answers to input)

In the thread Mikey linked to I also put in some suggestions for big piles. Basically you do want to start slow because it means you wont get overwhelmed when the reviews do come back

3 Likes

Just to be more clear here, there’s no algorithm, that is, there is no code that is dynamically determining the intervals for reviews. Every stage has a set length associated with it. For the non-accelerated SRS: At Apprentice 1 = 4 hours later till first review, will become Apprentice 2 if passed; At Apprentice 2 = 8 hours later till review, will become Apprentice 3 if passed. And so on with 23hrs, 47hrs, 7 days, 14 days, 30 days, 120 days (accelerated SRS for early-level items just halves all these values I believe).

So yeah, it’s definitely in your best interest to tackle a large review pile in smaller, manageable batches spread out across multiple days.

1 Like

I haven’t done this, but others have:

https://community.wanikani.com/t/did-around-1050-reviews-last-thursday-just-talking-abt-it/61946?u=nemurineko

The result was, as predicted, an avalanche of future reviews at fixed intervals.