If you could change anything about Wanikani, what would it be?

Check this out:

I don’t really know what a script is either lol, but it’s basically just some code that affects how the website works.

Have you thought about adding user synonyms in your native language so you can input those during the reviews rather than the English gloss? That could be helpful.

Thank youuuu! I’ll give it a look!

1 Like

I wish the sample sentences separated all of the words so that I could make better sense of them.

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face: … I think I might finally have a go at looking into this whole script thing …

1 Like

I did but it’s a lot of work. There are around 150-200 items per level (not counting all the items i already have in my review pile that i’d have to go through to add translations). Wanikani is already time consuming without having to add these by hand, and it’s pretty tedious with the UI, so i just decided to deal with it. I’ve only done it with vocabs i didn’t know the english for (though sometimes, i just ended up increasing my vocab in english, like with “wisteria”).

2 Likes

Moar Koichi

1 Like

It’s not a trivial tweak, but if I could change WaniKani it would be super awesome to have a few different “flavors” to sign up for. There could be a “super-burn” flavor for people who want to zoom through, with less vocabulary in it. And maybe an “gentle” flavor that has actually a few more levels, and some credit for being close (I’m a terrible typer). I really like the hints that bunpro puts up when my answer is not quite right. And, since the idea of SRS is that the item re-appears “just before you forget it”, maybe a flavor that acknowledges that some of us forget in less time than others of us. If I could have some more intermediate levels, I might have less failing before I get to burn. All that failing makes the review queue get quite a bit longer sometimes.

1 Like

For me, I wish it was possible to go back and review burned kanji without having to reset things. Something as simple as a 2nd review section on the site that only goes through the burned kanji. If the user got the response wrong they would have the option to unburn it.

2 Likes

I would quite like a way to just have a kanji thrown at me and have me write the Onyomi and Kunyomi for them, and be able to do that anytime I want while learning the vocabs and stuff. My memory is remarkably good at doing it that way and it’s what allowed me to learn Hiragana in a couple days, but with this app I’m really struggling because new readings for kanji are being thrown in along with definitions and vocabulary and Hiragana at the same time. I came here through ToFuGu and while I understand the philosophy they wrote about, some of us have brains that subbornly stick to specific styles.
I can do precisely one thing at a time. I’m really, really good at doing one thing at a time. Please let me do one thing at a time.

I think the idea is that when reading something in real life you’re going to have to be juggling meanings, readings, kana, unknown kanji, random English/Portuguese/whatever loanwords, etc. all at the same time. The real world is messy, so WK is trying to keep things mixed up as some simulation of reality.

That said, everybody learns different. I learn great when everything is all mixed up, but that is not true for all.

Well, upon reading through this thread, I realize my idea isn’t the most useful, but it annoyed me recently so I want to share it.
About a week ago, I had to go on vacation mode for a week. When I got back, I realized there’s no way for me to know what hour of the day I should turn off vacation mode - For example, let’s say due to my sleeping schedule, my reviews naturally slow between the hours of 12 pm to 8 am, so when I wake up I only have around 20 reviews. However, if I turned on vacation mode at 8 pm, but I turn it off at 3 pm, suddenly that 8 hour lull in reviews is from 7 pm to 3 am instead of when I normally sleep. If they showed the time you turned on vacation mode, it’d alleviate that trouble, I think.

4 Likes

I haven’t used it, but this script might be what you are looking for:

1 Like

That sounds exactly like what I was looking for. Thank you!

When a word can be either a noun or an adjective, or a noun and a ~する verb, I really wish the answer would be framed in both ways from the start. I have lost count of the number of times I have failed a review because I put in the adjectival form when WK wanted the noun form, or vice versa. I end up putting in the other word as an alternative meaning, but it would be great if it was already there.
Alternatively, it would be fine to indicate when displaying the kanji whether or not the meaning being asked for is a noun or an adjective.

For example, I just reviewed 水溶性. WK teaches the adjectival meaning (water soluble) but it’s also a noun - and that’s what I answered (and was judged to be incorrect on).

So yeah, that’s one thing which would be a big improvement in my opinion.

1 Like

I wish there was i+1 sentences that would was on the “back” of the card. Since many of the words share really close meanings the nuance can get lost.

I know there is a script for it but sometimes the sentences it pulls are really long or totally out there.

For 9$ a month it would be nice to see some improvements from the original product. Wanikani should really listen. Some of these are great ideas.

Making it so the many cases of ambiguity disappear, so that you spent more time learning and less time trying to remember which meaning belongs to which partner.

Examples:
Having both Honor and Glory taught at the same level is retarded.
The two are basically identical, and, especialy for non-native english speakers (i could not explain the difference between the two), have a similar meanings.
They should be 2-3 levels appart so that one of them is firmly established by the type the second one comes around.
As it stands right now those two are begging to become leeches, to the point that i just cross-entered the meaning to get them out of the system.

種 Kind and 類 Type should be Type and Category instead for the simple reason that
Kind is more ambigious than Type in its alternative meanings.

順 Same deal. How is Order a “better” word than Sequence?
It can be confused with several others words that are all sorted under “Order”.
Some of them are actualy “Order” as in a “Command” and others as in a sorted List.

Ambiguity in teaching is a complete no-go.

1 Like

I would add the ability to add synonyms for readings, so I don’t constantly get marked wrong when I type “kinyoubi” for 金曜日’s reading or stuff like that.

More content would also be nice of course :P.

Yeah, but… if you typed きにょうび in real life, you’re definitely gonna get some funny looks. It’s best you learn how to clarify your んs now, while noone’s watching.

But I know what I mean, it’s just an artifact of WK’s kana converter not handling ambiguous sequences. As far as “typing in real life” goes, if I type “kinyoubi” into my IME, it produces 金曜日 anyway.