If Thanos eliminated 50% of all kanji, which kanji do you want to see gone?

“You have my respect, Koichi. When I’m done, half of durtles will still be alive. I hope they remember you.”

43 Likes

My worst leech. Don’t look at me. :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

10 Likes

Wow this is so freaking funny I wondered who came up with this topic, and of course it’s you. :joy:

6 Likes

I want 方 to stay and 万 to disappear.

Also, 矢失夫天… Just, just take them all.

24 Likes

I blame the piña colada :rofl:

4 Likes

合 It’s always been the most annoying kanji for me.

6 Likes

I feel you. I keep answering “acquaintance” with 知り会い instead of 知り合い on KameSame…

5 Likes

either 坂 or 阪
I still don’t get the reason behind having two different kanji for the same meaning and the same readings, what bothers me even more is the fact that Osaka city was spilled 大坂 then for no reason at all they changed the spelling to 大阪
I know it’s not a big deal but it grinds my gears

6 Likes

It’s hard to think of an example off the top of my head but you know the ones when you’re reading something and you come across this character you’ve never seen in your life that makes no sense and has a super niche meaning only ever used in one word? Those ones. Get rid of those, please and thank you.

7 Likes

The reason why it was changed from 大坂 is actually pretty interesting

The name is written 大阪 in kanji, but it was written 大坂 until 1870, when the partisans for the Meiji Restoration changed it, apparently to avoid the second kanji being misinterpreted as 士反, meaning “samurai rebellion”. The older kanji is still in very limited use, usually in historical contexts, but in Japanese the kanji 阪—pronounced han when standing alone—refers to Osaka City or Osaka Prefecture.

21 Likes

None of them! All kanji are essential to Japanese mastery!

“You thought that by eliminating half of durtles, the other half would thrive, but we’ll show you … that’s impossible. As long as there are those who remember what was, there will always be those, that are unable to accept what can be. We will resist.”

baransu

22 Likes

I would list several similiar looking kanji here but since I can never remember them I don’t even know which ones to put here :upside_down_face:

19 Likes

Not even one?

3 Likes

This is too related to the site change. :joy:

5 Likes

No

Oh no :joy:

2 Likes

Surely one has wronged you. Maybe it could go when no one is looking? Who would care? No one has to know…

2 Likes

pragmata is actually Thanos confirmed >->

2 Likes

Ok but have you considered this kanji which is just plain bad?

5 Likes

Animal, helmet, heart, plate, street…

Yeah, that’s bad.

5 Likes

I seriously burst out laughing when I came across it a while back and saw the Jisho definition was just “bad”. Nothing else necessary. Just a bad kanji all around. A very apt definition indeed.

5 Likes