Ideal number of Guru items

@andypj1 I can’t speak for level 60 people of course, but my accuracy is around 95% and after a while I start getting overwhelmed with reviews. That’s with an average of 100 Apprentice items (+/- 40 depending on where I am in a level) and always less than 600 Guru items (currently around 550). At level 10 I took a two week break from lessons to just do reviews and decrease my Apprentice and Guru piles. I’m going to do the same next week when I get to level 21 and I plan to do this every 10 levels or so.

1 Like

I guess you wouldn’t need to with that accuracy… For comparison:

1 Like

Do you need to with your accuracy? I mean 96% is pretty damn good

1 Like

I am a bit lower than you, yet i’ve never felt overwhelmed. My review pile never goes higher than 200. Did you spend one or two days without reviewing at that time and your pile grew higher?

@Kumirei I don’t know. It might have to do with where a lot of my misses take place. I have a lot of items that bounce back and forth between Apprentice and Guru, which just causes a lot of repeated reviews.

@kisscolle I’ve almost never gone to bed with reviews left. I think it comes down to WaniKani taking up so much of my time. I’m also studying vocabulary on iknow.jp, which just increases the amount I have to review.

1 Like

Level 60 here.

As mentioned in this topic: To lv 46+ers, what is your strategy for 3.5-days' levels? - #12 by Goutye , having 500 to 600 guru items is doable.
However, due to 4 days levels, my guru stack started to get bigger and bigger, reaching 850 items at one point. This was the point where I was unable to pursue such rhythm. I decided to stop and do only reviews until my stack goes back to 500 to 600 items.

500 to 600 items is still something like > 200 reviews a day. It will then require a lot of time. Good luck :slight_smile:

4 Likes

To add some charts on that, the mistake in doing the multiple 4 days level in a row results in a Tsunami that goes from Apprentice to Enlightened over 2 months.

As you can see, the February items I’ve done are now messing up my Enlightened number, and messed up my Guru number before. So instead of having a normal pace, you ll end up with the double of reviews during a few weeks with a peak at one point. And that peak will certainly be a 18days level for you instead of your regular 7 days.

My best advice is then to stay regular, but to progress. Same pace, always. The brain loves it.

i came back to WK just over a month ago and cut my level by just touch over half to help re-acclimate myself to all the memories again (probably could’ve kept level in hindsight, i had better recall than i thought), so my guru is at 1200 right now. It’s quickly filtering to upper tiers so I’m not too worried.

Ideally I would like to have 0 guru with 8792 burned.

10 Likes

Your accuracy scares me : ) how do you manage it? Is it pre-studying or generally having a lot of practice outside WK or something different?

2 Likes

Had already studied for a year when I started WK

2 Likes

Studied Japanese in general or studied kanji?

Personally I’ve studied Chinese, and it helps a lot for the meanings and even for the on’yomi readings (not always, but sometimes I don’t even need the mnemonics, I just think “it’s like in chinese”), whether for kanji or for vocabulary.

It’s pretty interesting but I’m starting to be confused sometimes, when I want to use a chinese word and I recall first the japanese reading. Luckily it doesn’t happen so much…yet.

Japanese in general. For various reasons I had to take a few extra high school classes after graduating if I wanted to study at the uni I’m now at, so I decided that while I did that I could also learn a new language. Thus I signed up for Japanese and took it for a year, at university level.

I’ve never cared what my apprentice total is, or what any of them are for that matter. Well, I did enjoy seeing the burn total move past the enlightened total.

1 Like

@seanblue, you and I seem to be on the same 電波. I have about 95% accuracy too (with no override or reordering scripts). I’m not sure if I’ll stop the new lessons to clear out Guru yet or not because I am in a bit of a race to drill as much as I can before N3 this summer.

@Goutye Thanks for sharing! I might end up getting myself into the same place with guru items soon, but --for now-- I am able to review multiple times a day to keep the review count down below 100 (most of the time).

1 Like

I’m sitting at 972 Guru…90% accuracy on meaning isn’t bad, but the 80% on readings it hurting me. Oh well 200-300 reviews a day for the foreseeable future.

@Goutye Still chugging away with 500-600 Guru items daily. The 200+ review items a day for months on end has been really wearing me out. Helps having the N2 just around the corner in Dec to keep me motivated.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.