I Wrote Another Article - Its A Messy One

Here’s how ⁂I⁂ cheat

• If I’m lucky and get the half I know of a thing, I’ll peek at the reading/meaning in the info tab once I get my green

• If I’m messing up a lot but it’s mostly unconfirmed halves, ctrl+shift+n is an extra life

2 Likes

That’s clearly the middle men

4 Likes

Tried, (for functionality not to save money) and came to the conclusion that most decks are pretty bad
custom decks are pretty time consuming, especially with mnemonics and all
we are talking like $10 a month…

@alo thanks! exactly what I was looking for

@Aggelitus right now? I am. I do my WK sessions exclusively on the toilet after getting inspired by another user’s suggestions. The thought of quickly reaching 60 and then pass some jlpt3 test even though I should absolutely not be able to do that with just wk and all of it done on the toilet is too funny to pass on

@pabbles I think that’s an absolutely viable approach. sounds pretty hands on to me, why not

1 Like

I didn’t do a thorough background check but it does seem a little weird to me that according to your LinkedIn page you’re the CEO of this company. Or maybe Joey Bertschler is just the romanization of 工藤 俊夫, I don’t know

8 Likes

I too thought that was interesting. I read it and thought I must have got the website wrong, but then I saw it mentioned…but I don’t want to be mean though, so when it comes to self promotion, his game is 100% on point and I really can’t fault that.

3 Likes

Not sure what it has to do with learning Japanese or the article
Of course I knew what the reactions here would be and I allowed myself some fun with it, but that wasn’t the primary objective. Feedback, inspiration, lots of reasons really. Really like satorireader so far, will probably include it in the update of the original article. Pretty sure the new version next year will be very, very different and it will be fun to see how things change by then.

1 Like

The person that made the reddit post, if it wasn’t obvious, was me btw.

1 Like

I knew my title suggestion was stolen from somebody on here :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

You also wrote there on Reddit:

100%. Honestly why not sit down and just get yourself an edition of RTK and properly write them. It’s how it’s supposed to be learned. You learn the context and all. Matt put it the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sspUdoV9Il0

I guess now you know the Kanji already and are just messing with us for any reason. Or you just want to level up to 60 as fast as possible to be able to learn the vocabulary words provided here without needing to mess with the Kanji or Radicals. Or you want to just revise the content of RTK. If so, it might not be as bad for you as if it is for someone who is completely new.

I don’t know, but maybe put a disclaimer or something at the end of your article that beginners don’t get confused and take this seriously as it was too detailed to take it as an obviously only entertaining article.
(I mean on some violin forum there was this guy who claimed to be a violin maker and he advised people to use butter on the wood for better sound. Some people took it seriously (as he used his (probably fake) credibility) and caused damage to an expensive instrument)

3 Likes

No, I am the real Narrow_Palpitation_3

1 Like

False, I am the real Narrow_Palpitation_3

Or know how to work dev tolls… since I don’t want anyone ACTUALLY thinking that’s me

3 Likes

This thread is really sad. albeit also a bit comedical
I understand trolling around a bit, sometime i also enjoy that :eyes: whoops
But at this point you are just lying to youtself Joey.
To me it seems that you do all of this only for attention. Or is there any reward you get for discussing with so many people about an absurd opinion? Not to get too personal or insult you, but maybe you should visit a psychiatrist. I am sure they can help you with you Attention Seeking problem. More than any of us on the WaniKani forum can.
I would recommend to anyone to just stop replying to Joey. You’re just joining in on his Journey of wasting 30 minutes a day with nonsense. And not the kind of wholesome time wasting, that creates bonds and friendships as in the Poll thread but a very toxic kind of.

9 Likes

So we are talking about psychology now instead of WK? To me, it seems like you yourself are just trying to escalate things. Why did you not simply ignore the thread? Why not talk about why you think it’s such a bad method? Maybe recommend some resources or share some of your WK experience especially as a level 60?

@esutasan
I had many times where I was close to giving up on Japanese. Life got busy, c19 took many friends from me (valid visas but still locked out of Japan) and so forth. Yet I always returned to my studies one way or another

I feel that sometimes we intend to only take very short breaks but end up quitting in the tangles of it all
A light-hearted minimalistic approach can sometimes be just what one needs
There is also the concept of Kaizen, habits and rituals

I don’t think this thread can cause any damage. People may learn less with this method or feel like they should start over, but so what? As many pointed out, it’s all about the learning and not some digital badges

For me, this works really well. @namazurider put it best

There are so many identical opinions and resources out there, a breath of fresh air will be good
Of course I tried to get some attention. More people reacting and reading, more feedback, more discussion - again, why not? What matters is that I got some really good feedback, discovered some cool new resources and I was able to help some people, stimulate and irritate others - but all got some form of energy from it

look at the download numbers of confusion guesser! I didn’t know it flew below the radar of so many, great I got to point it out
I also never thought that a few dollars a month are that much of a barrier to many when talking about e.g. a rosetta stone/wk/bunpro/insert service subscription, that surprised me

1 Like

I read this entire thread in a desperate hope someone had said

Horrendeus

Horrendous

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing your ideas!
I’m not cheating it all, still using Reorder Ultimate to fast things up and take vocab lessons later.
After your article I finally noticed " Wanikani Mistake Delay" - this sounds exactly what I was looking for the goals you talking about! Before I was just super-duper seriously staring into results not to accidentally skip wrong answer… Now it should be more fool-proof.
I’m using Wanikani Override to correct wrong answers for critical items though. I guess it works about the same way as WaniKani Double-Check?

Thanks again for sharing your ideas, I’m sure somebody else could find them useful same as me! And see you @ lv60 with the cake! :cake:

1 Like

there is no cake for cheaters/script abusers/whatever you call it

3 Likes

I wasn’t going to participate seriously but I feel like I can
ahem
cOnTrIbUtE and bring something new to the table so here we go bois.

I’m gonna try and organize my thoughts into different points but I’m terrible at doing so, so sorry if this is a bit all over the place…

FIRST :clap: POINT :clap:

Do I think this study method is going to work?

In short, no. But that doesn’t mean it won’t. Everyone has different learning methods. It wouldn’t certainly work for me. And if you want my opinion, I do think in the end it’s going to cheat you of Wanikani’s true use.
Wanikani’s original use is to, simply, teach you kanji through the use of mnemonics. Also, the system they have created is an SRS. Perhaps if you don’t like having answers marked down when you get them wrong, a different study method might be more suited for you?
So if you’re not using the mnemonics (I didn’t either lol), and not using the SRS properly, the main products that you are paying Tofugu and the Wanikani team to provide you aren’t being used.
Almost all vocab, kanji, everything about Japanese can be found for free online. The reason you pay for services is because you find one that suits your needs and keeps it all together in a nice package in one place :gift:
What is even my point here. LOL. Basically, if you ignore all your wrong answers, you aren’t using the SRS system. So in that case, using Wanikani as a whole does not seem to be benefiting to you, and maybe you can try other methods?

Point :clap: Two :clap:
What exactly do I think is wrong with your method.
Coming from a future teacher :triumph: Languages are mainly learned through repetition. Even in your native language. You hear someone say a word enough, you’re going to remember it more. That is the point of SRS, it is to give you a pseudo-form of the exposure you gain from talking to natives. Since this is not possible for most of us, it is a way we can at least get the same repetition to help us learn.
In simple to explain something people already know, by ignoring things you got wrong, you are telling yourself, and your brain, that whatever you put as the meaning is correct, and not associating the word with the actual meaning. So this is why I, and many others, think it’s not going to work. If you go through first grade and no one corrects you on 2+2=5 you aren’t going to change your mind on it. Unless you accept you’re wrong, and give yourself a “punishment” so to speak, and let yourself see the correct answer more often. (Does that make sense? lmao…)

Anyway.

THIRD :clap: POINT :clap:
This is kinda a nitpick at this point. However I did see a post saying you were lying about being level 60.
And I just wanted to point this out because this is like, strengthening the idea that level 60 people are these gods with Japanese or something LOL. Being level 60 isn’t that big of an achievement. It’s learning that much Japanese that is. (But like I said, if you’re ignoring it, you might not properly learn it :slightly_smiling_face:
Lying is never a good thing to do! O:<
Lying sets a bad image of you from the get-go. Especially if you want to write articles and stuff. No one is going to hire you if you lied on your resume, or are known for stretching the truth.
I think if you were honest and said what level you are, and how hard you are trying, people would respect you more than if you lied to gain people’s respect. Just a nitpick though, that wasn’t even really important or the main point of this thread, lol.

POINT :clap: NUMBER :clap: SHI :clap:

“But this method is working for me”

Then do it. However, I do have one thing to say about this.
A while back (maybe a couple years or so…). I used only Quizlet to study Japanese. The way I studied is I’d open my flashcards everyday (sets of 25 or smth) and review them. However I was extremely lenient on this. I’d see the word 食べる, for example, and be like “yeah this has something to do with talking, right?” but because I didn’t want to review it, or admit to myself I got it wrong, I would just tell myself, “well I’ve got it now, no need to review it again” and move on.
I’ll be 100% honest. It was a terrible decision to study this way. I basically spent an entire year studying words over and over again, learning and remembering nothing. I couldn’t for the life of me recognize or comprehend any words I’ve learned before when I saw them in native Japanese material. So yeah, that’s just my thoughts on it. It didn’t work for me, and I’d hate to have you go through the same thing, so please make sure it’s actually working, if you intend to continue with this method.

LAST :clap: POINT :clap: (maybe) :clap:

This is also kinda a nitpick/question to you. How do you define actual studying?
Do you define it by using the actual SRS? Because you said you would spend hours trying to study “for real” (not sure if they were your exact words but you get the gist lol) and it didn’t have as much as an effect. So once again, back to my original point, do you just need to find a different study method?

OK :clap: ACTUAL :clap: LAST :clap: POINT :clap: I :clap: SWEAR :clap:
sHoUlD pEoPlE sPeEd ThRoUgH wAnIkAnI

inhales
NO
I’m mainly bringing this up because the main point, at least to me about your article, was about how to get through Wanikani the quickest.
I think a lot of people see those who speed through, and want to do the same. However, e v e r y o n e is living a completely different and unique life with circumstances not like your, so comparing yourself isn’t going to do anything but upset you. Plus, if you rush through and remember nothing, you’ve basically just wasted money anyway! :sweat_smile:
Another thing is, I can guarantee almost all of us here are not learning Japanese because we have to, but because we want to, right?
If you want to learn Japanese, then I assume you have fun learning the language and studying and reading native material. So, imo at least, trying to rush it is going to cause you to lose your interest in it and get stressed anyway. And besides, if it’s a hobby, then just do it properly! :grin: The fact you use the word “cheat” implies you know you aren’t doing it right. If your hobby is playing football, you’re not going to lie and cheat your way up to being the top in the country, are you? No because that’s silly O:< You do it at your own pace, and eventually you will progress and get better once you get more experiene.

…did any of that make sense. Probably not.

Anyway, done ranting I swear. I’m not trying to attack OP btw, I just wanted to help give some advice and what I thought about this entire thread. Also I got nothing better to do soooooo :laughing:
Thanks for listening to my Ted WhoTalk, Whologist, out.

30 Likes

I like your avatar.
/derail

10 Likes

Well I like your comment! O:<
//derailsquared

13 Likes

Oh snap. Well… I LIKE LEARNING JAPANESE!!! :open_mouth:
///derail3

9 Likes