I Wrote Another Article - Its A Messy One

Interesting, I’d assumed that the read-only key was in an identifiable field on the page and so easy to grab, but do the scripts instead just look for a string with the correct length to match an API key?

2 Likes

I don’t think there is any scripts that grab V2 automatically yet, other than WKOF :eyes: But the finding the tokens would be as easy as a query selector

And most likely there won’t be any since the default key is stored in WKOF and it’s easier to just use WKOF

2 Likes

Ah, okay, so the content type is specified as a token, so it can be queried for as that.

Thank you for explaining for my non-developer mind, hehe.

2 Likes

You all are looking too far into this.
Just…know Japanese??? Duh.

15 Likes

Once we convince the Japanese to use Romaji we won`t even need wanikani or kanji!

11 Likes

Yeah and then we can just convince them to use English grammar and use only English loan words! I’m a genius!

12 Likes

I haven’t read the rest of the thread but

I read it and I’d say it’s damn good for a beginner. The most glaring problems are related to using words or grammar structures that have the wrong meaning (nuance?) but translate the same kind of word in English.
One example that really threw me off:

会議を行う為に相応しい場所ではないですね。

And I thought, well, yeah, it’s a food place not a meeting room, but then you say:

高級な飲食店に慣れた社長たちとも躊躇なく松屋で会議を行いました

and I understood that you confused what kind of “meeting” 会議 is :sweat_smile:

That’s the kind of things that you can fix with more input (like, reading) and/or negotiated interactions with a native (trying to get your point across to a native in a conversation).

6 Likes

The article is a rather abrasive look at how to just power through WK without necessarily learning and your comments are coming off rather troll-like. I’m not really a fan, but I can’t say I completely loathe it so I’m just popping in just in case there’s more drama :popcorn: Thanks for supporting WK with your monthly subscription, I wish you the best in learning Japanese.

Also - I’m pretty sure that the intervals aren’t exactly 1 day/2 days/etc.? I think they were recently changed so they’re something like 23 hours or whatever. I don’t think it impacts much in your article but just throwing that out there.

11 Likes

It has always been 23 hours and 47 hours for apprentice 3/4

5 Likes

Ah gotcha I only really started paying attention to exact level times recently so I wasn’t sure. Thanks!

2 Likes

From the article:

“Some forum users might say ‘If you only used WaniKani you’ll be able to do basically nothing’.”

Is this guy putting words in our mouths? Like hell “you’ll be able to do basically nothing”!

Source: Watashi, in Japan, can read far more Japanese than I could 1.5 years ago.

4 Likes

I read both your English articles and skimmed your Japanese article. I’m beginning to think I understand your game and totally not interested.

I doubt people tried to convince you to enter a phd program, but cool story bro.

In fact, that’s how I feel about your entire deal. Cool story bro.

6 Likes

cool story

1 Like

Honestly, your approach isnt my cup of tea but hey, if its what you wanna do go for it. Its funny to see some of the responses towards you for posting. Everything is up to interpretation. If you cheat you will gain what cheating grants. If you grind it out the long way then you will gain what that grants you. Truly no right or wrong. At the end of the day your choices will reap what they sow. Who am I to say that u wont gain anything from your approach. That being said, I appreciate your input and efforts to put together your article. For me, I will be taking the more genuine approach that WaniKani expects. No desire to bash u unlike some in this thread. Good luck on your style and I hope you will gain enough for your language learning goals.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Uff
I had to read this a few times to get it harhar
My input got reduced a bit since c19, so I’ve been looking for more “crafted” pages

by that I mean specially edited Japanese stories that come full equipped with furigana (preferably toggle on/off), translations and markings (for words that are actually names or places to avoid confusion)

I found a few on Rosetta but they are rather simple and there isn’t really much

I found myself often getting dreadfully bored by news/children stories but reading 40k lore or even neuralink in Japanese has proven a tad bit too difficult
and by that I mean way too difficult
and by that I mean an entire new ballgame

2 Likes

Just like the idea of ‘cheating’ WK I’m getting a solid impression of how The Joey Brand approaches the business world.

@Jazzter you are a good writer, a good marketer and I have no doubt a good public speaker, you just need to find something to talk about. I’m certain you knew virtually no-one in here would think this is a good idea but it would spark conversation. You think Tim Ferris is out there bamboozling people for the sake of it, or giving some form of value to people’s lives?

5 Likes

I do wonder though, why you not just simply use an anki kanji deck. Same result and for free/cheaper.

4 Likes

You pay for Wanikani and end up knowing about as much as you know from RTK.

Wanikani is designed to fix these flaws by showing you how the Kanji are actually used in words, presenting additional readings along the way.

With so little knowledge of Kanji combinations you would not even know, what a highly common word like 人間 means.

3 Likes

That’s pretty much exactly what Satori Reader (https://www.satorireader.com/) does. The articles are kind of what you’d find in something like Reader’s Digest so that may or may not appeal to you, but they’re well written, have follow along audio, and you can mouseover or click for readings and translations.

4 Likes