I won't be doing that again

Definitely don’t feel pressured to do more than you can chew. I usually do all radicals in 1 day but limit myself to 10 kanji and vocab. It’s not a competition so there’s no reason to rush, it just makes things more difficult imo

4 Likes

I used to do all lessons at once in my earlier levels (at levels below 20) since I know most of them already, but recently, I only do 20 lessons a day as long as my apprentice count don’t exceed 100

2 Likes

I did 90 lessons (or something like that) on the turn from level 10 to 11 all at once, and let’s just say that was a steep learning curve lol.

3 Likes

Same here. I think it’s because a) I fail so hard at the kanji in the first few days, and b) sometimes the on’yomi readings don’t really pop up again as often, and the vocab have other reference points

2 Likes

Yeah from now on I’m going to keep my apprentice items under 100 too, hopefully make it easier.

Oh damn I bet that was hell :joy: :joy: :joy: and I thought 60 was bad enough!

2 Likes

I do radicals in one setting, their amount per level will go down as you level up.
Other than that, 8-12 lessons per day.

I did similar lesson overload before level 5, and found it unsustainable, if you add later reviews piles into consideration. I don’t like to have more that 120 reviews per day.

3 Likes

It’s depend on your ability to remember thing.
it’s easy to get totaly burn by having too much review, the more you fail the bigger the review is, later you will have item to burn they will add as well to your review. I noticed most of the time adding 30 review everyday to what it’s was supposed to be ( just answering wrong).
For the lessons.
I personnaly do 10 vocab , if they are not jukugo or the meaning is hard to decode i do 5,
i do around 10 rad that usualy the easiest to remember,
5 kanji because they are the most important to remember.
Iam around 74% of right answers and 150 review day average.
All of that is determined by your ability to remember stuff short term long term etc.

1 Like

I’m a slow gower. During the week while I’m working I only do 5 lessons if all my reviews are done. On the weekends I do as many as I can.

1 Like

When I started I was doing 30 lessons a day, but it really got overwhelming as I got to higher levels. I’m now on level 31, and I do ten lessons a day. Each time I go to a new level, I do all the radicals first. I used to do all the kanji next, but for me, these are harder to remember than vocab. So I just let Wanikani send me ten per day, and the kanji come up gradually. When I have 6 or 7 kanji left, though, I do them all as part of my ten per day. I do about 100 reviews in the morning, and 100 in the evening (the lessons are in the morning, after the reviews). I’ve found that as I got to higher levels, vocab got easier, since I already knew the kanji components of most vocab words. Each level takes about 14-16 days, which is much longer than it was taking on lower levels, but is less pressure, and more enjoyable.

4 Likes

It’s harder if you’re just starting out, but when you encounter these words while doing something fun like reading or playing games it helps to make the words stick easier.

Apps might be a good solution no matter what your level. Something like Busuu which is like Rosetta Stone but better IMO. It’s an all-in-one solution.

2 Likes

Personally, I do all my lessons as soon as I unlock them. I fully expect to get a sizeable amount wrong, but in the medium term it means I’ll be reviewing those more than ones I have no problems with.

Verbs for example can be a pain since the reading is usually brand new, whereas jukugo words mostly have the onyomi reading you’ve learned before and you can often infer the meaning from the kanji.

So my take is to not worry too much about the first review. It’s a good way of honing in ones you find harder to remember, whilst not spending as much time on ones you find easier. That’s the beauty of SRS!

2 Likes

I am not necessarily the best person to copy, but I worry more about reviews piling up than lessons.
I :hearts: that the lessons are in groups of 5.
Sometimes I fly through all 5, like when they are radicals, or 5 words all using similar kanji, or 5 words I already knew – or if I’m in a particularly brilliant state of mind at the moment, wide awake and receptive to learning. :slight_smile:
When that happens, I’ll do another set of 5, and another, but I don’t think I’d normally go past 15 or 20 before I start to see befuddlement on the horizon. So I stop for an hour, 2 hours, or even the day.
I (almost) never worry about getting all the lessons down to 0. I’d go so far as to say I don’t like it when they drop to zero anyhow, because then I’m stuck with nothing but reviews, and time.
I’m good now at hitting the wrap up icon during my reviews, too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Editing to add that I have learned the hard way never to do new lessons right before I sleep. You might think I would dream about those lessons and learn them easier. But no. The next day I have never heard of those kanji/radicals/vocab. :sob:

1 Like

meanwhile i just did all of the initial level six lessons the second they unlocked. i love srs punishment BRING IT ON

1 Like

Have fun with that! And congratulations. My poor little brain would explode. :pleading_face:

2 Likes

I figure, even if I have to repeat some vocab over and over again, I am progressing through the easier stuff at a steady pace. I’m sort of putting a lot of faith in the SRS to keep reminding me what I am struggling with. Eventually, it will stick. Let’s hope.

1 Like

Up in the 50s I am taking my time with new lessons because I have a lot of burn reviews and leeches keeping me busy. I do 20-30 lessons per day in two separate sessions. Radicals are “free”. Three kanji and nine vocab items are my usual lesson goal, though sometimes I do fifteen vocabs if the proportion of kanji to vocab is tipped too far in favour of vocab. (I’m using Reorder.)

1 Like

I do 20 lessons per day. My goal is to level up every 10 days and I find that with 20 lessons per day I can spread them out over the 10 days so I don’t get too many at once.

1 Like

At the start of a new lesson I do 8 kanjis every morning, or just a little more. For example if the lesson starts with 27 kanjis, I’ll do 8,8, and 11.

On other days I (try to) learn 24 vocabs.

I don’t count radicals as they’re usually quite easy to memorize.

It evens out to about 8 days per level, 9 days in the Hell levels.

2 Likes

Ten if kanji are involved, fifteen if mostly vocabs. This seems to keep me on pace to get to 0/0 the last few days of the level, and I level up about every 12-14 days.

3 Likes