I was reading Tadoku level 0 stories, and I was wondering about -

If I find a few words I don’t know I look them up in Jisho, and I found a sentence that doesn’t exactly make sense (at least to me). The sentence was: みんな青いです. I know the words blue and is, but I didn’t know みんな, so I looked it up, and apparently, it means everyone, so it roughly translates to “Everyone is blue?” Does it mean everyone is pale or something? Maybe, I’m just making a super obvious mistake, who knows?

6 Likes

青い has a variety of meanings. Without more surrounding context, we wouldn’t be able to tell.

3 Likes

I apologize, it was a picture of blue mice and blanket, with some other objects. Can everyone sometimes mean everything? Or, maybe it’s almost personification?

3 Likes

Oh, that’s pretty straightforward. みんな (all the mice and other things) 青いです (are blue).

Was it just that you thought that みんな only refers to people?

5 Likes

Yes, I assumed that I was just wrong, thanks for clarifying though! I know this probably seems like a pointless question, but yeah; I might delete this thread because it seems a little pointless…

1 Like

Everyone has to learn the meaning some time! I’m sure other beginners have the same question, so it’s not pointless.

12 Likes

Not pointless, I read that book a couple of years back and had also thought that みんな only referred to people until reading that sentence. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Definitely not pointless - I learned a new thing today because of this!! I’m just not as brave as you to ask the question. Thank you :bowing_woman:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.