I used my first WaniKani word today

A friend of mine from Japan is going to an English school in Australia and was asking me about differences in bathroom etiquette. While I’m American, I did my best to explain some things I figured were the same between Americans and Australians. During this conversation, we got on the subject of body wash, which she wasn’t familiar with. I mentioned that my favorite scent for girls was coconut, but to prevent the case she ever gets me anything coconut flavor related, I made sure to say the next sentence:

あまりココナッツを食べるの好きじゃないけど人工の香りすごくいいと思う

Not sure if that is correct usage of 人工, but she seemed to understand without skipping a beat, and the conversation continued. Nice to already see WK paying off. :3

2 Likes

I think i already forget that one! Or just don’t understand it in context, haha. Doesn’t help that I don’t know this one 香り. 説明してくれない?

1 Like

Normally かおり is used as in “fragrance”, usually meaning a good smell, and the opposite of くさい.

匂い on the other hand usually means good, but can be modified to mean bad (or just be neutral).

いいにおい = かお
わるにおい = くさい.

There are probably some other, subtle nuance differences, but that’s probably a decent layman’s explanation. :]

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.