I only did kanjis for a while

After I only did kanjis and building a huge lesson backlog of vocab items (7 Levels).

I’m proud to announce, I’m back on track!

proud

20 Likes

Why would you do that to yourself in the first place? I feel like that only hurts your kanji learning even if you only cared about kanji and not vocab. A recent experience I had with this is with the kanji 思. I knew the reading おも but it wanted onyomi and I could not for the life of me remember what it was since I hadn’t seen it used in a vocab word which used that reading. Now that I finally got the vocab word 思想 this level, I can remember it much better.

5 Likes

Same thought here (kanji pun intended). Sometimes I guru a kanji but feel I haven’t yet learned it well, but with all the vocabulary that uses it it immediately starts to feel familiar. It’s a really good reinforcement. Plus, I think vocabulary is the real goal of Wanikani. You can read, write and speak with vocabulary, but you can’t do much with just kanji.

4 Likes

Congratulations on getting back on track! That sounds really daunting to overcome :fearful:

Congratulations!

Congratulations! How many Apprentice items do you have now? I once had a backlog of 2 levels of vocabulary items and that wasn’t fun. So 700 items instead of 200 must be quite challenging. I had to stop doing any lessons for a couple of weeks until things got back to normal and my Apprentice queue was under control. I’ll never do that to myself again :wink:

Btw: now that is in the past, I use this script to avoid the situation from happening again: [Userscript] WaniKani Lesson Filter

And I’m a bit more relaxed about my level up speed now. Which will hopefully help preventing bad ideas in the future.

2 Likes

198 Aprentice items.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.