I just finished a JLPT N2 practice test

Thanks! I’ll let everyone here know how I found the test!

3 Likes

I will be taking the upcoming N2 as well! I always thought of reading as one of my, comparatively, stronger points and i still do. Yet i found the N2 reading sections harder than i would have thought.

I also think, like many fellow learners here stated already, a lot of it comes down to the format of the questions. Doing some more mock exams and sample questions helped me getting used to this more. Now i feel it should be alright.

i will still spam light novels like crazy, as i think this is a great way to improve. But ultimately struggling with the question format and such doesnt mean our reading comprehension is actually terrible. at least thats what i think.

So lets stay motivated and give our best! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good luck to you as well! We can do this!
Yes! I am trying to up my reading to as much as possible. It’s been difficult as I find that I don’t have the concentration to even read, even in English! Visual Novels have been so useful for that reason.

1 Like

I’ve been working in education for twenty years or so, and I want to make something very clear: tests like this are highly fallible and often incredibly idiosyncratic.

Your language knowledge may or may not be accurately assessed by the JLPT. There’s a good chance that what you need is not a deeper knowledge of Japanese so much as a deeper understanding of the thought and design behind this test.

I don’t know who out there is doing the work of dismantling this test to prep students, but I know that that is what most people who struggle with tests like this need.

3 Likes

Hey everyone! So the test went okay I guess. There was some things that I didn’t understand but I did my best and that’s all that matters. The listening was definitely my weakest and is something that I need to improve on. Now I just have to wait until September for the results XD

7 Likes

I agree.

I have never liked tests for language skills.

When I did the toefl exam, I got 90, but for the description of my weakest parts they were confusing and not accurate, I can make conversation, write a composition, listen to a song, watch a movie or a tv show without any subtitles.

But who checks the evaulation of my toefl score would never hire/accept me for a job or scholarship :sweat_smile:

That’s why for JLPT, I want to study following its levels and progression but not to do the exam.

As far as I could tell, the only thing it did was check a box on the admissions form when applying to University as an international student. I got like 95th percentile on my SAT but still had to sit the TOEFL.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.