I just became a subscriber ! But I just saw a video that threw me a bit off

I honestly regret buying RTK. I never got any use out of it, and I thought it was dreadfully boring. More power to anyone that did get use out of it though.

1 Like

Just like cleaning records, there is no single “correct” way to learn Kanji.

1 Like

Talking about reversed pair, i just just discovered 牛乳 / 乳牛

2 Likes

Wanikani’s a great tool. I can see it losing effectiveness if you force yourself into a certain timeframe, or don’t pace well, but if you’re okay going your own speed, it’s a monstrously effective tool for obtaining kanji and radicals. Even better if you pair it with other materials for writing practice, though that’s up to you if you just want to improve reading comprehension.

As others have said, you have to pay for it, but that’s because it’s not garbage. You have to pay for classes, and books, and other apps. People who teach or create study materials need to make a living too. I can’t imagine wanting to learn a language but bristling at the thought of paying for material.

All I can really offer is that I minored in Japanese, and am currently living in Japan and studying for the JLPT N3 with both WK and other material. Wanikani’s the best thing I’ve ever found for kanji, and has improved my reading ability immensely. Hope it winds up being as useful for you!

11 Likes

Not to say that free resources are bad though. There are many great resource that are entirely free (e.g. 文プロ) and very useful. I do appreciate when resources are free however because I wouldn’t be able to afford $200 for every Japanese resource I came across :wink:

4 Likes

Good point! Didn’t mean for that to be a universal condemnation of free resources, just to reinforce that it shouldn’t feel unreasonable to pay for good ones as well.

I also turn to plenty of free resources in my study, but I find I usually use them to supplement/review things I first learn from ones I’ve paid for.

(I also couldn’t afford $200 for every single one. But I’m okay paying for a few subscriptions and a round of books every once in a while because learning the language is important to me. Still cheaper than a college course, for comparison.)

2 Likes

Anki is free.

So using stealing someone else’s work is okay? :thinking:

Look, from your profile I noticed that you’re in a hurry to learn Japanese. I was too when I started 1 year ago. I still am. I know that feeling of wanting to go fast. I am indeed still going pretty fast. I’m part of the full speed team here on the forums. I don’t want to give the impression that I know it all. I do have yet to learn a lot. But I believe you should be careful in not falling into the “be fluent in 18 months” thing. That’s not how real life works, no matter what people tell you.

Check stuff for yourself. See what works best. But never fall into the trap of thinking x is the absolute truth because someone seems believable enough.

Be rational. Be curious. Don’t assume stuff. Dare to make questions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What? Anki is freeware, not stealing anything. Maybe I just don’t understand what you said. Care to explain?

You quoted it yourself.

Sorry for the tag Syphus.

I’m lost. What?

1 Like

RTK is a book. You pay for books. Someone put it on a Anki deck.

Oh. I make my own decks. It’s pointless to use premade decks IMO.

You don’t need to buy books about how to learn Japanese, you can write your own books in 18 months.

5 Likes

At least do your own research about things before criticizing them.

Just going on what I’m being told.

Amazon usually has used Genki 1&2 books for sale that are half the price. Thats how I was able to afford mine :slight_smile: Also Japanese for busy people isn’t a bad book, the college near me uses it in their class rooms.

As a visual learner the colorful UI (like the different colors for radicals, kanji and vocab) do help with my learning, I’m incredibly grateful for that seemingly small detail :cherry_blossom: That’s why I have a hard time with Anki and other SRS as they’re quite dry visually.

1 Like

I don’t know. I’m pretty happy with how my Anki deck looks visually.

9 Likes

I saw this video recently as well. The main thing that I think is a problem with every YT video about the “best way” to learn kanji (or anything else for that matter), is that everyone’s brain works differently. Every person in the world has a different best way. So every video about the “best way” is wrong.

At the same time, (I’m only on level two WaniKani so take this with a grain of salt) I’ve encountered some of the problems he mentioned with WaniKani. When a kanji has multiple readings and one vocabulary uses one reading and another vocabulary uses a different reading, WaniKani seems to be falling short and every time one of those vocabularies comes up I feel like I’m just guessing which reading is right.

But the other side of that coin is that by the time I end up memorizing which reading is right in a dumb way I’ll definitely know which reading is right, even if some psychologist or linguist would argue I could have learned it in a better way, I’ve already learned it.

What I think is a much bigger concern is something brought up in one of Dogen’s videos. If I’m looking at readings of kanji but I’m not looking up the proper tonal accent pronunciation of each one, I’m probably assuming a wrong tonal accent in my mind and forming bad habits. But I think this might be a problem with RTK (which I haven’t actually looked at, so again, salt) as well. So I have actually been trying to look up pronunciations on the resources Dogen mentioned in this video as much as I possibly can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRSXbqjC2Yg

What I really think the most is that Matt’s video seems to claim that using WaniKani is actively harmful, and I really don’t think that it is.

2 Likes