I just became a subscriber ! But I just saw a video that threw me a bit off

As much as I love WK, I hate the SRS intervals. I had much better retention when the last Apprentice interval was 3 days. My problem is that my short term memory is very good, and once I know something I don’t really lose it, but to get to that stage I need a lot more exposure than WK gives. This is what I absolutely loved about Anki - my ability to control the intervals. Yes, I spent more time reviewing, but can still recognise and use everything I made a card for.

1 Like

I was just thinking, why not use all methods at the same time RTK, Kodansha and Wanikani ? The only thing I may see that can happen is that it can get confusing with different radicals but if you have the time why not use a bit of all.

If you don’t like a radical or a story from Wanikani then adopt the RTK or Kodansha one, maybe use RTK to focus on writing only ?

I mean I’m just saying while limiting to only one method, might as well adopt the best that each have to offer and make your own style method haha.

“KodaHeisiKani” lol

1 Like

I would love to see your themes! My coding skills were learned on the fly to make my decks. It would be awesome to see a deck made by someone who knows what they are doing. :+1:

2 Likes

We should make a anki theme share thread. For when I get back to anki. XD

Y’know what, I’ll make it now.

2 Likes

We should just make one about Grammar Anki decks. I’ve been trying to make some kind of Cloze cards for the past 3 weeks now and it just ain’t working.

2 Likes

You mean something like this?

I never really delved into Cloze cards. The problem is they work best when the context is obvious. If I were to build one it would only be in Japanese and the missing words would directly relate to the context.

Something like “It might rain so I am bringing an ____” ->umbrella

But I would also love to hear other opinions on this.

I have also tried creating cards for textbook drills in Genki, but they ended up being too much work to make them worth the effort.

03ED5770-7CDB-4129-B60C-B4E30CFA7963

2 Likes

Yes something of that nature.

@hinekidori I’m obviously not married to the idea of Cloze, but I’m trying to find a good way to keep some of these N2 and N1 grammar points that I don’t see often in my head. As well as keep up on the nuance of some of them.

What I’m thinking of doing is just picking each grammar point in the Kanzen Master books and then making a card out of one of their example sentences, which I thought are the best for context here

Have you considered BunPro? Just by going by their thread, I think it’s a bigger task than you might realise, especially if you intend sharing your deck.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how much N2 and N1 they currently have, but BunPro is a great suggestion.

@Syphus How about moving over to the Anki thread konekush created and giving me some examples of what you are trying to get done and I will try to hack at it.

[Anki Theme Sharealong]

2 Likes

i bought my lifetime recently but before i could afford wanikani i just found wanikani decks elsewhere tbh. i guess wk might not be the way for some because of the price, but i find it more convenient than assembling my own personal decks in like anki (which… i never used but i’m aware of). i honestly don’t know a better way to learn kanji than pure exposure. i never remembered stuff whenever i took classes and the only way i retained vocabulary was through use of it. that’s why i like srs.

:woman_shrugging: if people don’t want to pay there’s always the nihongo app on iOS which has a small flashcard / srs function built in. i used that until i could afford wk, personally.

1 Like

The main reason I want to make my own is I want to mirror the content in the Kanzen Master books, including the Japanese explanations. I’m not sure where Bunpro gets it content from but at the very least I don’t believe they have Japanese explanations that I know of.

@Hinekidori I’ll see if I can explain better.

Not sure how if it’s anywhere near what you’re after but my current grammar strategy is making anki cards from the sample sentences of the N3-N1 nihongo no mori videos.

I watch the video, and make a card with the sentence, definition of the grammar point and if needed I try to transcribe any explanations particular to a certain sentences if I don’t find it obvious.

Because I’m a sucker for doing tons of work (and because I find that audio tends to stick in my brain better) I’ve also taken it upon myself to add the audio from the youtube video… I guess all this work does serve to drill the stuff though.

So far I’ve found this to stick way better than other methods I’ve tried. Especially since this way, by the time the stuff is in anki, I’m drilling stuff I’ve already had properly explained.

1 Like

Have you explored working with Cloze deletion for grammar at all @crihak?

@Syphus has got me curious.

The devs are very active on their thread - you can always mention something to them if you think they’re off, and you can also add notes and example sentences to each grammar point. But yeah, there’s value in making your own materials …

1 Like

I haven’t… I’m mostly satisfied with focusing on increasing my comprehension, and just let my ability to express myself increase naturally over time.

1 Like

I tried that once…then I learned the difference between “Japanese people who speak a little English” and “Japanese people who speak no English”. But now you’ve gotten me thinking, maybe I should just make pure English cards and try and express that in Japanese.

@konekush The one on here?

Yep, they’re pretty great at replying.

1 Like

Ah, don’t expect too much. I’ve seen your themes and they are very nice and definitely more than what I was trying to do. I was basically just cleaning up the theme that I had linked too because it was a bit too verbose and I think this could be done in an easier way. Maybe I can end up with a version that is less intimidating to someone not familiar with the topic.

I’ll post it in the Anki CSS thread when I’m done. Thanks for creating that, @konekush

3 Likes