I just became a subscriber ! But I just saw a video that threw me a bit off

Lol

I just sat here for 40 minutes watching a guy write kanji without actually listening to what he had to say because it was so damn satisfying watching the characters being formed with that blessed orange soft tip pen.

13 Likes

I do that, but instead of going to the reading page I hit J to hear it on the first page.

Iā€™m certain that it has done wonders for my aural recognition.

4 Likes

I think it depends what kind of learning type you are. I for myself have phases where i am extremely motivated and can bring up enough energy to learn like 10 hours a day. Using wanikani it gets a little bit frustrating if you get blocked in your attempts to speed things up.

There are many cases where people using Heisigs RTK learned like 60 kanijs a day and finished the book after a month and a half. Using this approach itā€™s also easier to modify the learning routine if needed. You could concentrate on the most common kanjis for example so that you are able to recognize 75% of the kanji within a regular news paper arcticle after 14 days. Those guy obviously have to learn lots of vocabulary separately, but in comparisson to wanikani they are able to concentrate on the every day vocabulary by using the 2k core for example. The whole approach allows to start much earlier with regular reading material.

2 Likes

Man I should start posting more. I have, like, next to zero badges. Unfortunately, with regards to this particular post, I only have comments about the creator of the video, and as we all know, if you canā€™t say anything niceā€¦

3 Likes

Somehow I got Vin Durtle out of my post. Not entirely sure what the connection is, but eh, Iā€™ll take it. Up to 13 durtles nowā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™s not like youā€™re catching me up in terms of badges or somethingā€¦ :unamused:

5 Likes

Youā€™re right, Iā€™m not :rofl:

1 Like

Youā€™re only one gold badge short of me Jeepers. Something needs to be done about this.

2 Likes

ā€¦dammit koichi I feel like you just look for excuses to give me these now

Edit: but donā€™t stop ngl I love it

4 Likes

Whats a durtle ?

Make an introduction thread and find out!

Though you already seem to have one.

1 Like

I wonā€™t watch all 38 minutes of the video, but let me give my two cents.

Before knowing Wanikani, I tried Remembering the Kanji for a few months. I ā€œlearnedā€ some hundreds of kanji through that, but I noticed that, obviously, I couldnā€™t read a single word using any of those kanji, since it only teaches (one) meaning of each kanji but not how to read them.

Not only that, but because of the lack of a SRS system, I didnā€™t retain almost any of that ā€œknowledgeā€.

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m still doing Wanikani, while Remembering the Kanji was left in the past.

9 Likes

Anecdotal evidence at best and I am guessing what I am going to say has already been said but my two cents:

I tried using RTK for about 6 months. I got about 500 or 600 kanji in before I lost motivation. I mainly stopped because I didnā€™t feel like I was really learning anything. I could point out the meaning of some kanji but thatā€™s about it. I hadnā€™t learned any readings and I still couldnā€™t read any actual Japanese. Iā€™ve been doing WK for about 4 or 5 months now I think. Iā€™ve learned more kanji and vocabulary in that time then anything else Iā€™ve tried. I can recognize words Iā€™ve learned, in context. I would say that Iā€™ve kept a faster pace with WK than I was with RTK. WK has kept me engaged enough that now itā€™s just part of my daily routine. I just needed a little bit of incentive to start WK in the beginning and the leveling was enough. An RTK AnkiDroid deck did not work for me since there wasnā€™t much of an incentive. Iā€™m pretty early on so I donā€™t know if it will stick forever but I do know that SRS is a memorization technique that works great for me.

I donā€™t agree in comparing amount of time spent Volume 1 of RTK (no readings, only meanings) with WK. You arenā€™t learning the same thing. RTK, assuming you are only talking about Volume 1, only teaches you a meaning/keyword for a kanji. You donā€™t know any vocabulary after finishing or any readings of those kanji. Learning all volumes at the same time would defeat the purpose of RTK since it is supposed to be focused on one thing the meaning/keyword initially. So you canā€™t be doing all of the volumes at once. So three months for each volume. Nine months total and you only know meanings and readings with no vocabulary. WK maybe around 24 months and you learn 6k words and the same amount of kanji readings/meanings.

If you are using only base WK then you are doing yourself a disservice in my opinion. Use kaniwani.com, use scripts like WaniKani Leech Trainer, WaniKani SRS Level Progress, WaniKani Pitch Info, WaniKani Real Numbers, WaniKani Stroke Order etc etc. Iā€™ve got 15 scripts for WaniKani and my learning is much more effective because of them. Itā€™s tough using my AnkiDroid decks for vocabulary that I learn outside of WK because they lack all the useful functionality that the scripts add to WK. Manually adding where the downstep is in the word from weblio.jp is one of the more annoying steps to making the Anki decks. That being said WK shouldnā€™t be your only resource for learning Japanese.

The other thing that I think isnā€™t given enough credit is the community for self study students. Have a question about something WK related? Search the forums and you will probably find your answer. RTK you are at the mercy of google and https://kanji.koohii.com/ The lack of support with RTK didnā€™t help my motivation either.

I actually like that I donā€™t have to come up with a story for each kanji. The WK ones are usually crazy enough that it sticks with me. If it doesnā€™t I add my own to the notes section. Thatā€™s why I didnā€™t choose to go with KKLC because my memory of my own mnemonics is usually worse than the canned ones. This didnā€™t help me when I was using RTK and they stopped providing stories. If you can come up with vivid stories then RTK or KKLC might work better for you. I still think KKLC and RTK are good resources though. They just werenā€™t helpful for me.

I also donā€™t agree with saying you should start with RTK to learn Japanese. For the same reasons as many others have already said.

Of course we are all here to learn Japanese so do whatever works best for you. :slight_smile: For me itā€™s WK.

10 Likes

Well, considering Googling gives you absolutely nothing but computer-based results I would have to say so.

@WolfHasFleas I went to Syracuse, so I have to hate you now.

Why do I feel like Iā€™m on my Boneyard account, lol.

1 Like

Wait I just realized, we are like twinsies. Ive got the cat profile picture and you have a husky one. Minus the part where mine comes from me being a creepy weeb and yours is sports related.

4 Likes

Leebo why arenā€™t you level 7 yet? Stop slacking!

9 Likes

At least youā€™re not a crazy cat lady. Ngl thatā€™s one of my nicknames at work.

Do you own an abundance of cats?

I have three. My coworker Carl says thereā€™s a formula, 1 cat per person in the household +1. My ratio of 3/1 apparently puts me in crazy cat lady status.

He also calls me flower child because of my sightly boho style and tendency toward flared jeans. It was fun when he recently found out my first name (that I do not go by) is actually a flower name.

Okay Iā€™m done derailing I promise.

1 Like