I have brought this wrath upon myself

I started using the reorder script about a month ago, and this is what I get for skipping most of my vocab for a week 0_0 Throughout today, I’ll be clearing this massive stack and I’ll update this thread as I go to keep myself accountable. Wish me luck!

27 Likes

oh my! D’: good luck, I hope you can catch up soon!

now this will serve as a motivator for me when I think I can postpone my vocab lessons since they won’t help me level up anyways lol

2 Likes

Alright, I did the kanji reviews that I tried to be especially careful about. Now for the vocab, where I’m gonna just type whatever comes to mind first.

3 Likes

Wanikani’s gamification works too well; I have managed to not neglect my vocab lessons but have certainly neglected grammer :frowning_face:

6 Likes

Ah, a fellow sinner!
let’s go through Purgatory together! I too have 305 lessons (+ 200 reviews from yesterday), is it fate? Ke’s ways are infinite…

P.S. If you think 300 are a lot, I’m leaving my dashboard from 17 days (and 2 levels) ago, may this raise your spirits a little and give you hope in this dark times:

Dashboard (now old)

1 Like

Have you tried Bunpro? They also use SRS. I’m testing it now, I’ll see if it’s worth paying the premium version. I really like Genki, but trying to fit a textbook into my routine clearly isn’t working, so the more stuff I can do with my cellphone the better :grimacing:

4 Likes

I have both BunPro and Genki. I use BunPro though to reinforce Genki learnings. BunPro has a Genki path so as soon as I read up and learn the grammar point on the book, I add the corresponding lessons on BunPro.

Sorry to hear that the textbook route is not working out for you. I tried BunPro only before reading up on Genki and I found that the concepts were not really sinking in properly for me. Once I paired the two up, my understanding and retention for the grammar point improved.

Try it out and let me know how you progress! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I am sort of doing this as well, but with the lessons I had already done (up to unit 8 on Genki I). After I get past unit 8 I’ll have to study from the book again before getting back to Bunpro, I hope I’ll be disciplined enough :sweat_smile: Do you do the exercises on Genki first or do you go straight to Bunpro?

2 Likes

I would really recommend taking your time and doing the vocab instead of reordering. It reinforces the kanji you just learned, since you’re effectively adding on to the paths in your brain that involve that character! You might think you’re going to get through it faster the other way, but you’ll probably end up getting less kanji wrong if you reinforce them through vocab.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried it and I might get it later. I am giving Genki another go.

2 Likes

Tested that :sweat_smile:, you can remove the “probably”. After skipping the vocabulary for 4/5 levels, my percentage in the reviews for those kanji dropped to barely 70% (from the usual 90%). But it was ~5 levels, in OP’s case one level is still ok.

2 Likes

I add them on BunPro as soon as I read the lesson part. I then go back to Genki once I add the lesson so the SRS timer starts to kick in. I then do the rest of the textbook plus the accompanying workbook. I got the workbook off of Amazon.

1 Like

Well i have never used transcript or whats called.

Alright, I’ve been incredibly distracted since my last update, so I’ve only gotten another 200 or so done. But right now, I really gotta eat, so I’ll get back to it laser focused in like 20 minutes.

4 Likes

The correct word here is Kis.

I wouldn’t say: “She’s ice cream is delicious.”

2 Likes

You are right, I never thought about it :scream:
As penitence I’ll finish the remaining 100 reviews before going to sleep.

2 Likes

Wow, I don’t know how you managed to remember the readings without vocab :sweat_smile: I need the vocab lessons to remember readings (otherwise it’s too abstract for me to retain well enough). And as you probably know, you also learn more readings through these lessons…

Good luck working down those reviews! :muscle:
But if you do them in huge batches, won’t they come back to punish you in huge batches?

5 Likes

Alright, last update for the day. After I ate earlier, I played some games with friends (and thus was not doing reviews), but then I knocked out another ~300ish until about an hour ago, at which point I went to go read a book (Black Company, if anyone’s interested. :ok_hand: btw) . But then I remembered that I should update this thread before I go to sleep, so here we are.

Good luck working down those reviews! :muscle:
But if you do them in huge batches, won’t they come back to punish you in huge batches?

They will come back in batches, but not quite as big as you might think. Most of those were either burn items or otherwise high srs, so they won’t be coming back for a while.

3 Likes

Ooooooooooo! Almost there @Xylas! Power through them tomorrow? All the best! :nerd_face:

2 Likes

You did a great job!

1 Like