I finally leveled up after 3 years, 4 months, and 25 days

Hello everyone,
I finally leveled up today after starting level 11 on August 17, 2018. I was going into my junior year of high school, and I guess I got distracted by other things like AP classes. I had a lot of responsibilities, and I just didn’t have the energy to keep up with the reviews. I let my membership expire, and I focused on other methods of learning Japanese such as Duolingo.
I started college, and after a horrible pandemic-hindered first year, I transferred to a school where I can study and minor in Japanese. I felt proud of myself for knowing kanji taught in class, and I was prepared for the daily random kanji reviews. I started to build a basic understanding of Japanese grammar, but unfamiliar kanji hindered my understanding of passages. I decided to buy a lifetime membership so reading will become easier and I can build a larger vocabulary.
When I logged in, I had close to 1,050 reviews, but I was determined to get through them. Somehow I finished in less than 24 hours. I’ve been anxiously reviewing, and I finally leveled up. I guess this is an opportunity to look back on how much I’ve grown in this time. This isn’t an excuse for me to slack off; I haven’t worked so hard and anticipated so much to give up.
I want to offer anyone struggling to level up some encouragement: It takes patience and determination, but you can do it! Everyone learns at their own pace, so don’t be too hard on yourself. We all have different things going on in our lives and it’s not always possible to give 100% of our effort. Just remember that you’re going above and beyond by learning an extremely complicated writing system.
Best, totorosootsprite

29 Likes

Congrats on leveling up!! :partying_face: I really admire your determination - almost 1,050 reviews in only 24 hours is crazy!

5 Likes

Thank you!! I really appreciate it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Congrats! I’m in a similar boat as you I will be passing level 16 sometime this week after starting it 636 days ago.

4 Likes

Good luck to you! You can do it!!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.