I fell off the bandwagon but look at me now

Once I got to burning items for the first time I really got overwhelmed with reviews, but this year I resolved to get back on the bandwagon seriously and I’m quite proud of how it’s turned out:

I am literally just bragging here because I feel great.

31 Likes

original%20(1)

Way to go @filkry!

-inspectatoro :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Looks like more of a long nap than falling off the bandwagon :stuck_out_tongue::

Seriously though, welcome back. I know exactly how hard it is to dig yourself out of that hole. The one advantage to a long sabbatical is how it skews your Burned numbers.

15 Likes

Wow, you make my dramatic recovery look plain!

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what gave you the willpower to get through the backlog of reviews?
I restarted a couple of times, but the amount to slog through would quickly drive me away again. It wasn’t until I went the other way and set limits (25 a day - that’s it - until it’s done) where I managed to not run away in defeat. That, and I want to read this one day: https://www.kadokawa.co.jp/product/321504000109/

2 Likes

Three things:

1. I got some advice to tie the studies to my personal identity. So I started thinking of myself as “someone who studies Japanese”. Viewing it this way means that when I have free time now I think of doing reviews as a default option, rather than work or a burden that has to be done. I remembered that learning Japanese is a hobby of mine and I want to get better at it, so reviews should be an opportunity.

2. I started doing my reviews on PC only. I used to do them on my phone only, and the amount of time difference for text input was huge.

3. I am lucky enough to work at a job where I have a computer and am not that heavily scrutinized. So I started doing reviews during downtime at work rather than just trying to get them all done at one time during the day.

For me the mental threshold is about 100. As long as there’s fewer than 100 reviews I can generally do them all in one or two batches, but if it gets above that I begin to lose hope.

Edit: I’ll also add that compared to my fiance who also does WK, I am comfortable with an 88% review rate compared to her aiming for 100%. This lower rate allows me to be a bit sloppier and treat reviews more casually, and overall actually gives me a speed increase.

4 Likes

My mental threshold was 100 before I fell off. I tried it coming back, but I just couldn’t sustain it. So I went for the slow and steady route. Now I manage my lessons to keep the “Next Day” number around 100. It’s often above that because of reviews coming in, but it’s been working for me, so far.
I am PC/phone agnostic. I do find a Japanese keyboard on the phone helps, but it’s still not as good as the computer. And my work situation is similar to yours. Computer when I’m at my desk. Phone when I’m waiting for my lunch to heat in the breakroom microwave.
88% seems reasonable. I like to be above 90%, but don’t beat myself up too badly if I’m not - obviously I need more practice with that radical/kanji/vocab, and WK will conveniently show it more often when I make a mistake.

Man I can’t imagine shooting for 100% personally… it’d be way too stressful to me. Half the reason for SRS for me is that errors are a natural part of the process.

1 Like

I’ve had some ups and downs over the past several years as well

3 Likes

Congrats to you all! I just restarted WK after finishing the free levels 4 years ago so I’m on fire right now, but I’m bookmarking this for when I eventually run out of steam

This is goals

3 Likes

Yep.

4 Likes

I mean that’s an ideal situation, to have a fiance who is also interested in learning japanese / wanikani. I’m jealous! :blush:

2 Likes

Congrats to everyone who digs their way out :confetti_ball:

6 Likes

Where do you find these statistics?

1 Like

Here: https://www.wkstats.com:10001/login

2 Likes

Not sure what excuse to give but I clearly had some really long hibernation going at the start… Don’t know how you guys go through levels so fast ¯_( ಠ д ಠ )_/¯ At this rate I will probably need another 20 more years to finish and I’m barely even past level 2 HAHAHA

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.