I don't get the context sentence (擬装 -- Disguise)

I encountered the following context sentence for 擬装 – Disguise on level 59:

食品会社の擬装を許してはいけません。
You must not excuse the food company’s disguise.

Is this some cultural reference, or what is it supposed to mean? I don’t see any connection between food companies and disguises, are they pretending to sell healthy food or something?

2 Likes

Well, it means exactly what the translation says.
Hard to say exactly what they disguised, but they probably faked some data or something; so yeah, pretending to sell healthy food or something.
There’s no specific connection with food in general.

1 Like

Based on all of the other example sentences I’ve read, I’m assuming this is just a random one :laughing:

To me it sounds like a company pretending to be a food company, hence the food company’s “disguise”, so more in the sense of an impersonation

maybe they’re secretly a drug warehouse!

5 Likes

Hm, I don’t think so. That would be 食品会社擬装した(こと)or something similar in that case I think

Koichi definitely just picked keywords out of a hat to decide what sentences to write.

8 Likes

How about seeing 食品会社の擬装 together, like “Disguising as food companies is unforgivable.”?

In this case the English meaning is closer to something like subterfuge. 擬装 can indicate a physical outfit like a disguise or coloration like camouflage, but it can also refer to a specific action or behavior intended to trick others.

①他人の目をごまかすための装いや行動。

5 Likes

Hu. I… guess? But that’s even more weird (in terms of meaning) than the other explanation (which was matching the translation too).

1 Like

Hmm that would just be a more literal translation though :thinking:

There are different ways to convey that sort of idea even in English, so something like 食品会社の擬装/food company’s disguise still seems pretty vague and can imply various things, no?

1 Like

Well, yeah. Without context, it’s hard to say, and food company’s disguise is pretty vague by itself indeed.
They already took some steps and put a “you” and a “the” in there, which is not necessarily implied by the Japanese sentence :stuck_out_tongue:
Hopefully they’ll come up with something better in the near future

1 Like

But look how much interesting discussion of the Japanese language this sentence sparked :wink:

4 Likes

It was part of こういち’s plan all along!

1 Like

It’s generally believed that more the unusual something is, the easier it stays in memory. So I just assumed that was reasoning behind the random sentences.

However I do wish the sentence offered more of a clue to the nuances of the word, especially synonyms, and words with broad meanings.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.