I can't find the Kanji Meaning

Hi everyone, I didn’t post anything for a while, how are you doing?

So sometimes I try to find fun ways to practice some Kanji reading but the problem is I can’t find the right meanings. It happened to me many times.

Let me take a random example. I have this picture from a manga.

The first one is just “Omatase shimashita” as “thanks for waiting”. No Kanji is okay.
Now we have the second part which I don’t know how to read (besides the “shin” part).

I always use Jisho(jisho.org) to translate my Kanji. I tried to translate 新章 or 新章突入 but I didn’t get anything. Only “突入” had a meaning.

This is the most frustrating part of Japanese. Sometimes you want to translate a word but either you don’t find much about it or you don’t even know how to type it lol. I feel like I have to use this forum again haha.

Thanks in advance,
Nour

新 is acting as a prefix here, and 章 is a word on its own. 新章突入 = something like “rushing into a new chapter!”

3 Likes

Not only you answered me but you have a “cat” profile picture as well :smiley:

This is another problem in Japanese, they don’t have spaces. For me, 新章突入 was like a compound word or a Kanji composed of two Kanji 新章 & 突入. I guess I was wrong. So it’s simply 新しい 章 突入 but they are using a shorter version of 新しい so we read it with the on-yomi reading.

Thanks for the answer!

1 Like

Not precisely, but yeah, Japanese does quite like to form huge honking compound nouns by taking what’s essentially a whole sentence and removing all the connective tissue. Trying to think of good examples…

Like 連邦捜査局 = Japanese name for the FBI. Or 東北地方太平洋沖地震 = the official name for the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake (likerally Tohoku Region Pacific Coastline Earthquake).

4 Likes

Recently I met the parent of a student of the school where I teach, outside of a school context.

I asked them which grade their child is, and they said 新三年生. You won’t find that in a dictionary. But you’ll find this for 新 and this for 三年生.

Just like how English dictionaries do not list every possible combination of “word and prefix” that you could have, the same thing will happen with Japanese.

6 Likes

Yeah, someone just told me that there is a verb for it 突入する so they made it even shorter.

They always have exceptions in Japanese it’s crazy. At least I am aware of this thing now. Thanks again!

@Leebo Thanks a lot for the example!

This is one of the things that kinda makes me wonder, since I haven’t actually learned anything grammar wise about it yet. Take 終わり for example.
この会議は終わり!
Obviously you would translate that to “The meeting is finished!”, but there isn’t really a verb in that sentence unless you wanna get all particle-theory.
This may be a bad example, but I’ve heard people say things similar to あの会社に入社です!Is it just that する is dropped, or is this a sentence structure all on its own? When I read the original post, I see it as 新章は突入だ! with the particles all lopped off. Is this a wrong way to think about it?

edit: woops, wrong reply button

Well, I think you’re describing two different things. First, printed language is terse and sparse. And second, people just don’t use だ much unless it’s required by grammar, or if they’re trying to say something with more forcefulness. So in casual statements it’s normal to end with no copula.

It has furigana though. :thinking:

8 Likes

I’d translate it as “the meeting is over”, personally. There’s not really a verb in that either, aside from “is”, but that barely counts.

1 Like

Yep and this prefix is also sometimes used in the names of sequel TV series, etc. Like 新ルパン三世 for the second series.

2 Likes

LMAO I meant the Kanji that I can read without looking at the furigana. In fact it was a mistake because I knew “shou” and “nyuu” as well so I could read 3 out of the 4 Kanji. My brain wasn’t working properly when I wrote that haha.

@StarMech Don’t ask me, I am struggling as well lol. If it was me I would have said
この会議を終わった (the meeting finished).

I guess these things are just part of the native side of Japanese so we just need to get used to them like with any other language.

The thing is when you start learning Japanese they always tell you that you need a verb. As long as you have that the sentence is correct, even 俺だ!(it’s me) is enough. Then you start finding sentences that barely have a verb which is confusing for beginners like me. I should stop forgetting that Japanese is all about context!

1 Like

Japanese as a language is very noun heavy. Almost any verb can be made a noun with theりsuffix. That’s why the copula gets used so much.

あの会社に (that company with the に target particle) + 入社 (joining a company) = joined by the です copula. You don’t need する to make it grammatically correct, it already is. Less formally you can use だ instead of です.

The hard part is that there’s no real concept of a copula in English. Sometimes beginner lessons will tell you that です means “is”, but it really doesn’t. “Is” as a form of “to be” or “to exist” is really ある/いる.

1 Like

This isn’t exactly accurate. It’s true that there’s no single verb that serves as the copula for English, but the verb “to be” functions as both a copula as well as the verb to state existence. If that weren’t the case, then sentences such as these would not be grammatical in English.

He is a doctor.
The food is terrible.
I am his brother.

ある/いる can be associated with “there is/are” or an inflected form of “be” depending on the context.

There are houses in the area.
There’s a person walking down the street.
She is home right now.

2 Likes

Spacing can be tricky, so when in doubt, I drop the text into ichi.moe. For example, putting your text into it breaks it down as:

• 突入

(As well as giving the meaning for each word, which is already covered in other comments here.)

2 Likes

WOW! This looks sick, I need more resources like this lol. Thank you so much :smiley:

This isn’t really true. English has a main copula ‘to be’ along with semi-copulas like ‘become’, ‘get’, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.