Hunter × Hunter 🐸 (Absolute Beginner Book Club) - Starting on the 27th of August

Thanks! Found a Piano Collection version, it’s perfect.

Thanks @Gorbit99 , that works!!

Got my sheet setup, ready to collect them all :partying_face:

4 Likes

I wasn’t following all of that, but why do you want this information?

I can see the vocab, and maybe the kanji, but the radicals?

Does it have links to the wk pages? That would be cool.

1 Like

Yes it will have the links too, as it is simply a compound of the other columns it will be easy to autogenerate!
I’m just collecting the information because I’m curious to know how does studying kanji via WK will translate to helping reading the book, so with the data it will be easy to get numbers such as “at level 6 you have learned 7% of the kanjis used”, “at level 29 you have learned 86% of the kanjis used”, “the radicals from level 3 and 10 are the most common” or things like that :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I hope you’re automating this some way or the other, because I honestly expect a few hundred words by the end

2 Likes

Could I get a quick ebook page number for page 25 from someone using bookwalker?
It has a number in the bottom left corner to check

1 Like

Not saying you shouldn’t do it, as it sounds interesting, but doesn’t @ChristopherFritz have something like that?

1 Like

Is that what you mean? Can’t see any page number anywhere but that’s my bottom left page 25 in bookwalker

1 Like

yeah, that’s page 25 in manga page numbers as well, that’s great

2 Likes

Week 1 Thread is live and complete.
Let’s get this party started!

9 Likes

Yay!!! Add the link to the first post in the thread too so it’s easier to find?

1 Like

Ah ye, forgot

1 Like

I added a few more… for places where the vocab doesn’t exist on WK, but the kanji do, I tried to note the respective levels of the kanji.

2 Likes

Week 2 thread is live a bit early (compared to gmt+0), so that if people want to start reading straight away, they can

6 Likes

Have fun reading forward everyone!
“This topic will automatically close in 10 years”
I will come back here when I’m ready to approach the book, I should make it before the topic closes :laughing:

6 Likes

So I made some stats :slight_smile:
I used the transcripts from @Beyond_Sleepy here for chap 1 and here for chap 2, as well as the data for kanji by level in WK by @ChristopherFritz here, so thanks for that!!

I simply wrote a program that counts ALL the kanjis appearances (not the unique kanjis) and check at which levels they are learned, and pasted the data in Excel to have the graphs.

So to me, at a glance, it looks like the chapter 1 was a bit rough, with needing to be around level 24 to understand most kanjis, and chapter 2 a bit easier with most kanjis from level 13. Of course this doesn’t say anything about grammar etc, but I think it’s encouraging, will definitely try and verify my theory at level 24 :smiley:

6 Likes

That’s neat, it’s reassuring, that you don’t need to be very high level to know most kanji (and tbh, knowing the kanji is the least of the issues when reading imo)

2 Likes

Week 3 thread up!
Welcome to the short weeks. 8-9 pages a week. From now on, this will be the norm until we get to the final rush. Use this time to catch up if you haven’t and get used to the writing style of the manga. If you’ve felt like the book is just out of your reach, don’t worry, it will be easier for a bit!

8 Likes

Week 4 thread is up!

5 Likes

Week 5 is ready!

5 Likes

Week 6 just so happens to coincide neatly with the read every day challenge!

5 Likes