Hunter × Hunter 🐸 (Absolute Beginner Book Club) - Starting on the 27th of August

Alrighty; I’ll leave it off of the offshoot list for now, but if that changes, if somebody could tag me so I catch it, that would be much appreciated! :grin:

2 Likes

Hello! I purchased this book to try and do this book club cause I’m at level 20 WK and know I’m supposed to be reading stuff now. I started reading this and unless I constantly and flipping back and forth between the Google sheets and the book, I’m having a hard time on non kanji words and grammar.

Should I be doing more grammar learning before trying to read or should I just power through reading and bite the bullet. it’s just sorta discouraging to constantly need to reference the sheets for vocab and grammar

3 Likes

Bite the bullet. Even if you spend all your time with grammar and vocab, it will be hard the first time over. You need to grow your reading legs. It will be easier over time.

3 Likes

Okay. I’m doing the reading on my phone so that also makes it hard to flip back and forth between the book and the sheets but I guess I’ll just keep trying to trudge along.

1 Like

It’s sort of a tough question to answer because it’s so variable what works best for people, but:

What I can say is that biting the bullet worked really well for me; but I know that not everybody has the same tolerance level for pushing through it. Early on, reading will always be difficult, even if you get a good basis in grammar before starting out, but the returns you get are well worth the effort you have to put in.

If it helps any, I posted further up in this thread my advice for people who are just starting out to read:

The biggest thing I noticed is that if you genuinely enjoy the material you are trying to read, it’s much easier to learn from and get value out of, even if the difficulty level is technically “out of your league”, so to speak. I learned a lot from Takagi-san, as my first manga, for sure – but my real gains came when I picked up things that were harder than that because I wanted to read them even if they were more challenging than conventional thought would say I should take on at that point.

2 Likes

I do that too, though my phone can put apps into floating mode, making looking up words effortless.

This is the main situation where I recommend kindle over bookwalker, because it’s waaaay ahead on phone.

3 Likes

Okay I’m starting at the beginning again and am gonna just try and recontextualize how I’m viewing this. It’s a language puzzle! Thanks y’all

6 Likes