How to write 喫 in 喫茶店?

For , I am not sure whether 口 is on left-hand side, or a part of the top?

喫の教科書体(筆順付き)

5 Likes

It should be 口へん as far as I know. (Left of entire character).

6 Likes

It’s smaller like your second image in every how-to-write guide that Google coughs up, but note that it’s still drawn entirely to the left of the 大 component. (Albeit not uniformly - there’s one or two images that squish it in on the top with the other components. Those might be the Korean version of the character, though. And/or 行書体.)

3 Likes

Here is an overview of some variations on 喫

3 Likes

this is of course only japanese. in my chinese fonts its very very clear to the left, so much so that i didnt recognise it when i first came across it in chinese.

2 Likes

That kanji is taught in middle school, and this is how it looks in my middle school calligraphy text book:

On the right is standard ‘Chinese square block’ and on the left is ’Semi Cursive’ both show the difference compared to computer/printed fonts you mentioned.

7 Likes

TIL: There are cursive scripts for Japanese too(multiple apparently).

Quick, someone make a script for it!

That screenshot is from a genuine Japanese middle school textbook. The right hand script is 楷書 in Japanese, maybe it’s only the english translation that calls it Chinese-Square-Block.

1 Like

there is, you can use jitai with a semicursive font

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.