How to type "lock"?

Hello! Quick one, how do I type “lock”? りょく

ロック, the same as “rock” (the genre).

Or 錠 (じょう)for other lock-related words.

2 Likes

Are we talking about the reading mnemonic for ? Keep in mind the reading mnemonics are English words (or sounds) that are only at best intended to approximate the sound of the word - for the correct reading, you need to learn how to read (and type) the kana.

りょく is typed as “ryoku”.

6 Likes

Type “Ri” “Lyo” “Ku” on an english keyboard. That should get you りょく.
You can also type “Ryoku” as well.

It’s typed ryoku. If you havent already I’d recomend going to tofugu and learning Hiragana and Katakana. You can learn them both in 2 days to a week.

1 Like

I also suggest reading this onboarding series:

To learn hiragana:

5 Likes

Wanikani giving waapro Romaji should help. That probably shouldn’t be avoided for beginners.

Wanikani’s how to type in Japanese series.

1 Like

Surely you mean wa-puro. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thanks. I should have been clearer, I meant when typing the answer for the kanji for enter, . Turns out its nyuu.

I put the on’yomi into Hiragana-Romaji Conversion: Japanese <> Latin Alphabet • LEXILOGOS and it told me how to do it. Not sure if that’s how I should be doing it?

1 Like

Thanks. I’m going through the course right now!

If you don’t already know hiragana, I’d recommend learning that first. It will make the WaniKani process a lot less painful hahah

3 Likes

Thank you. I am working my way through the hirigana guide.

1 Like

I’m getting that impression. Might switch focus to that.

Hiragana isn’t some top secret cypher that requires a decoder ring to understand. It’s just a different character set, and with enough practice, you can just plain read it yourself. And when you know how to read it, you pretty much know how to type it. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes
2 Likes

Are you not using the Japanese IME keyboard you can install on Windows?

1 Like

Definitely focus on learning hiragana and katakana for the meantime, they’re essential to learning Japanese and you won’t be able to do much with kanji without them.

3 Likes

This is in the first lot of kanji in the exercises. My confusion was in the mnenomics for enter being “new” when its typed in as “nyuu”.

I also realise I’ve made this topic about “lock”. I think I need to take a deep breath.

1 Like

That website has been brought up before. However, my thought is please learn to use Japanese keyboard with alphabetic layout (QWERTY). There is one from Microsoft Windows.