How to study Genki alone

Hey :high_touch: I joined the larger study Discord a while ago, but I got a little intimidated and then took a break due to RL issues. I’m really bad at self-study, so having a little structure and company might help. I’m in the CE(S)T timezone and my availability fluctuates a little, but I’m sure I can occasionally make time. I’d also prefer a relaxed pace and a friendly atmosphere where beginner questions are encouraged, so I hope it’s okay to join :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, of course, feel free to join! Our main purpose is to be able to chat about our studies as well as practice the group excercises/dialogues in Genki 1. We have people with both Genki 1 v2 and Genki 1 v3.
See you there! :cherry_blossom:

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I’ve taken the liberty to join the new Discord group as well. However, I don’t have Genki with me right now. In fact, I only did some research into it today. I am unsure whether to purchase Genki right now, or to hold up a bit and just focus on WK for now and maybe make do with passive forms of grammar learning or other free resources. However, if I do decide to buy Genki, do you think Genki 1 is enough or would you recommend I get Genki 2 as well?

1 Like

Hey! Saw you in the chat, welcome~!
I’m just going to reply here in case anybody has the same question regarding Genki. Genki 1 has a lot of grammar and vocabulary packed into it. If you properly take the time to work through Genki 1, learn the vocabulary, do the excercises etc you won’t be needing Genki 2 anytime soon.

2 Likes

Yah I agree with momoni. Especially considering how expensive they can be, just Genki 1 is a good place to start.

1 Like

よっしゃ! That’s some relief. Thanks, @momoni and @Cascades.

1 Like

Hello! I am going through Genki 1 for over a year now. I’m at unit 7. I’d really like to join the study group. I’m tired of talking to the walls :-/ I feel like being able to talk and hear someone back is a super important part of learning that’s the hardest for us self learners. I’m going to install this discord thing and join you guys, if that’s ok?

3 Likes

Of course it’s okay! Feel free to join! :smiley:

1 Like

@HelixApothecari @Vjeshitza
Hey! Zero pressure, but just wanted to let you both know that we’re still waiting for you to join. :slight_smile: Our first group calls went well, I’m certain you’d have liked them as well! Everybody is friendly and helpful. Just to make sure nobody is left behind though we are thinking of closing the invitation soon (like, very soon).

That way if you decide to join the group it will be small enough that you’re guaranteed to get some practice in every call. And if you can’t make it to one of the calls you can ask for a smaller call with somebody just to make sure you can still practice whenever and whatever you want.

So, if you’d still like to join I’m hoping to see you both there soon! :cherry_blossom:

1 Like

Oh, I’m sorry! :bowing_man: I had an unexpectedly stressful day yesterday, and now I’m dealing with two yelling cats and my partner hanging around and playing cell phone games :sweat_smile: I will make sure to join later today when I have some quiet time!

3 Likes

No need to apologize, that’s completely fine! Classical cats :cat2:

Just wanted to make sure if you were still interested and to let you know about what yhe group is up to. See you in the group chat! :cherry_blossom:

2 Likes

I really like the idea of a Discord group to go through Genki together :slight_smile: I’ve been wanting to start my Genki for some weeks now, but doing it alone is not so fun… I’m really busy the few next days, so I won’t be able of joining calls, but from next weekend I will have plenty of time for it!

1 Like

Hi to all of you,
I’m new to WK but I studied with Genki 1 up to chapter 7. The idea with the discord server is great. I wanted to study by myself but as you said before the partner exercises are difficult to do alone :smiley: I’d like to join you guys! I live in Germany, the timezone wouldn’t be a problem :slight_smile:

The discord link doesn’t seem to work for me so here is my username: Akidaco

1 Like

Hey Akidaco! Chapter 7 :scream: I tried to message you but you discord needs the numbers after the name too!

Here is a link! Discord

Hi! I would love to join as well :blush: The invite link doesn’t seem to work though? I probably won’t start Genki properly for another couple of weeks but I’m still picking up bits and pieces of grammar from Tofugu and other sites! I’m UK as well :slight_smile:

I love this, thanks!

@kathryna910 Hey, at the moment we are worried we might be over capacity for the amount of people who we can organise and work together in calls.

This post has received 1000 views in a couple of days though, so I would totally recommend that when you start Genki you post out asking for study buddies and I’m sure you’ll get a response as I did! Or maybe people looking at this thread in the future will find you!

3 Likes

Ah ok, thank you for letting me know :blush: Yeah I’ll probably make a post in a couple of weeks, thanks!

1 Like

Good luck! :cherry_blossom:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.