How to read 汚して

Hello, I’m trying to start learning more Japanese through a reading while looking stuff up in a dictionary. I bought the first volume of とんがり帽子のアトリエ and have a question about the first line… ココ says 「ごめんね 汚して!」which aparently can be read as よごして, けがして, or きたなして. Am I supposed to be able to know which it is based on the context? When there are multiple readings like this and no furigana, should I assume that there is one correct choice that is obvious to a Japanese speaker or is it sometimes ambiguous?

1 Like

Its よごして

けがす is more like defiling something rather than physically making it dirty. Also can be written as 穢す

きたなして im not sure is japanese lol

EDIT: sorry for the lazy answer, didnt read the whole post honestly

Yeah, someone who is fully familiar with the language will know how to read the stuff even if there is no furigana. There are some rare cases where it might be ambiguous, but the author themselves are japanese and would be aware if its ambiguous or not and would include furigana to clear it up. If they don’t then it might be intentional or a good sign that it really doesn’t matter.

8 Likes

When you encounter such ambiguous words where you can’t pinpoint the correct meaning/reading, it often helps to search for example sentences with both kind of readings or even better, just search for the words through native material with google and try to discern in what kind of context both words are used. Often times it will give you an indication, why a certain reading is used and the nuances associated.

Of course only if you deem the word important enough for you to know right now. It will usually cement both words in your memory, depending on how throughout you search. So it is generally great for learning! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

from the context itself, you can see that she is apologizing for dirtying the lake…
so, when you make something dirty, the reading should be よごす (して for the て-form).