How to distinguish the meaning of between上がる and 上げる and also 下がる and 下げる

None of the verbs mentioned have す in them… That was merely given as an example of another type of verb where the transitivity is fairly easy to guess.

Hmm, I can’t think of any off the top of my head. Regardless, it’s a good base to go off of and just memorize the exceptions.

1 Like

To remember these I started using the A in fall and the E in lower, to remind me which of the -aru/-eru was which. I used it for this pair, but also to remind me of the general rule around these verb pairs. As people have pointed out you need to be careful to remember that -aru/-eru pairs mostly follow the intransitive/transitive rule, but that does not mean that every verb ending -aru or -eru is part of such a pair!

I am hoping I will get more instinctive about this as I do more reading etc.

This would totally work!

1 Like

Thank you, that helps a lot!

Okay I built a littel bridge which helps me distinguish both… dunno if thats just a nice convinience but it works so far… 分かる means “to understand” so 上がる is “to rise”
it works for me(because of the aru ending and not eru) so ill stick to that until it doesnt work for me anymore

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.