How proficient in vocabulary will I be when I am done with Wanikani?

By the way, @IanD, I was wondering something about the 単語 / 文節 break down discussion of yesterday : do you know how Japanese grammarian handle very long compound words ?

Japanese love to smash words together to create uber-words, there is even a topic on wanikani about them (Long word is long - #13 by Leo-Tyrant). Like I said in the topic, I saw once 高精度視線速度系外惑星探査装置 (which has an entry in jisho!). I was wondering how the 単語 / 文節 break down would look like. :grin:

Most jukugo words, even four-character-plus ones, tend to be treated as 単語, both in a practical and grammar-analysis sense, since they teeeend to lose specific meaning when broken up. There are definitely more than a few that wouldn’t particularly register as single words for English speakers though. And there are some that would probably give the average native speaker pause if you threw the “count the 単語” exercise at them.

1 Like

Thanks, I see. In this case, for example, any discussions about the “total number of words in a language” are truly meaningless. Explain a lot about this wikipedia page, all the top language are agglutinative one. Actually it’s quite remarkable that English hold up so well, considering it is way less agglutinative than the rest.

1 Like

Theft. Wholesale theft. English speakers have adopted large numbers of words from every language they’ve come in contact with, for centuries.

when do we stand trial?

Oh no I have bad news for you about Japanese

3 Likes

This is a fantastic thread full of wisdom and great information. Thanks everyone! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, I see what you are saying. I’ve not used anki but most of the grammar knowledge I’ve picked up over the years has been through my wonderful Japanese teacher on iTalki.

I’m on a hiatus with him now as I desperately need to increase my vocabulary and kanji knowledge but later in the year I’ll pick it back up with him.

At Wanikani level 51 you’ll be done with all JLPT N2 Kanji and around 3/4 of vocabulary. It’s a lot, but at some point you’ll have to find other sources - especially for words that aren’t written in kanji. Therefore WK is good, but you’ll need a bit more for the JLPT.

(WK teaches roughly 75% of words in this list (JLPTstudy) at levels 51 and below, and I had to look up the rest when working for the test. That said I haven’t written a script to check if every vocab is included in WK or not, it’s an estimate - and the message is still the same)

For anybody curious, this is the Wikipedia page for “word”:

1 Like

Amen brother

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.