How often does Wanikani get new members?

When I first started searching for resources to learn Japanese way back in 2012, I found TextFugu, which is still one of my favorites.

Anyways, some time after I joined TextFugu, I received an email from Koichi/Tofugu team/??? (this was ages ago, ya’ll) telling me to come check out WaniKani and a subscription discount.

So I did. And I’ve been using WK off and on since then :slight_smile: It’s a fantastic resource if you’re a diligent self study student (which I am, but… sometimes I’m not).

I was born in the Crabigator’s blessed light.
it’s been so long I can’t remember. Tofugu I think?

Same for me. Found Tofugu through google which linked me to here

Is that an Eiji profile picture I see :eyes:

It is indeed

From Koichi we know, that per month 22 people make it to level 60.

And in jprspereira’s Ultimate Guide we find a graphic about the distribution per level.

Of course this graph gives us no information about the time evolution of new members, but at least we get an idea, how much more low level mebers there are :slight_smile:
The large arrow has some meaning in his post… if you are interested, read this guide! Its great, sereously!!

~T :lion:

I looked for a way to learn hiragana and katakana, found the tofugu page that was incredibly helpful. Once that was done, I followed the link to wanikani.

I live in Japan and go to an evening school after work. I did notice that more and more people in the school do wanikani reviews during the breaks, so I get the feeling the website is doing well.

I came across WK in a few places while looking for kanji options, a number of which were forums where people criticised it for being slow or not-free, but while few posts outside of these forums were loaded with praise, I rarely saw anyone complain about a lack of effectiveness (excluding people who talked about trying everything and being unable to stick with anything).

I think it was ultimately the lack of any substantial negativity (while every other method had long lists of defensible, off-putting criticism) and the quality of Tofugu’s blog posts and free material that sold me on trying it (and finding a 50% code that served as a hook that led to lifetime).

The adorable artwork everywhere and clean presentation also helped to convince me that it was a polished service, not some undermaintained toy project.

I learned hiragana and katakana on Tofugu and it led me here. I liked how they taught those and I also liked how they give you the first 3 levels for free to see if the system works for you! I guess I’ve been here for a year and three months.

I’m not a new member but I’m a new active member.

I joined (created an account) in 2015 but then quickly quit when I saw that the site isn’t 100% free. Recently I came back and decided to give WaniKani another try. I’ve tried so many tools to learn kanji and none of them are as addictive and rewarding so I’m thinking it might be worth the price. Also, although I already know most of the early level kanji and vocab, going through the radicals properly is a good exercise.

I originally found the site through Tofugu.

I chose web search because I actually found out about WaniKani from a podcast recommendation for best resources.

I searched for a review of Satori Reader because I wanted to find out what other people thought. The review I read happened to be on tofugu.com and happened to mention Wanikani (and the fact that you can sync Satori Reader with your Wanikani level). So I decided to investigate…

(By the way, I find Satori Reader more useful than Kristen did.)

For me, I think it was recommended at the end of one of the Human Japanese Apps. The intermediate one, I think.

I joined in 2013 and cannot for the life of me remember how I found Wanikani.

People are getting their JET program acceptances/alternate statuses around this time.

I’ve been a fan of Tofugu for years now! Since I got serious about Japanese a year ago, I’ve been doing rote memorization, and then I saw redditors offering this as an alternative!

Thank you, it’s great to be here. And don’t worry I’m all about getting these reviews in. See how long it took to reply to you? :wink:

I started to learn Japanese with Duolingo, and noticed I wasn’t really understanding what all these “symbols” meant (hiragana). Once I found the name of what it was trying to teach me, I googled how to learn hiragana, which led me to Tofugu. And once they got their hooks and me, they didn’t let go…

At first I used Lingualift but I was constantly falling out of learning Japanese. Then I decided to learn seriously and I think I saw a list of websites for learning Japanese on reddit, and when I saw the subscription fee for Wanikani I was like I might as well give it a shot. Funny thing is I understood how kanji work way faster on the 8€ wanikani than on the 45€ lingualift.

I started myself a few days ago