How many times have you reset your level?

they should add a lvl 61 for people who burned em all :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve just taken an 18 month hiatus from Wanikani (and I’ve really missed it!) I started going to evening classes for my Japanese, which helped in some ways but meant I didn’t also want to put in time for this… but I noticed the downturn in my kanji knowledge pretty soon. Also had a lot going on at work and at home, and the next thing you know there are 2000 reviews and it’s too overwhelming to come back to.
So I’ve reset from 19 to 1, and look forward to hopefully getting back to 19 (and beyond) quicker this time!! :smiley:

Hey guys, instead of resetting why not only do reviews and not lessons so that the reviews slow down over time, did you not think of this or would it not work

No, because that had completely not crossed any of our minds. /sarcasm

Sometimes life happens. Sometimes other things happen. I suggest actually reading the thread before giving us suggestions that are borderline insulting.

I’ve been away for about 2 years and I forgot to turn on vacation mode. Something tells me that I’m gonna reset to level 1 …

I reset again. I probably didn’t need to the last time but I am feeling it now. Especially now that wanikani has changed its radicals around. I am struggling with these kanji and vocab I used to get bored doing because I ‘knew’ them. But that’s what spending 6+ months eating and breathing my 3D Animation demo reel would do to my brain I guess 8’D

I did reset two times,

1. from lvl 6 to 2
  2. from lvl 6 to 4

And now I‘m again at that dangerous lvl 6 :scream:

1 Like

I recently reset from Level 13 back to 6 – ( my family grew! there is a baby in my life now) I felt like the first five levels were a breeze anyway from previous kanji knowledge, and I’d done some separate reviews and actually had managed to burn a few. But everything after that was fuzzy and my accuracy was too low so I went ahead into the danger-zone and said good bye.

Cool thing is the second time around it really is easier. I do have fuzzy recognition and my accuracy is higher. I’m sorta scared to get back to level 13 and hit stuff I’ve never touched before.

I’m also moving slower- my goal is 2 levels a month. This way I can make sure to cover all the vocab and I don’t stress about missing them as much. I like this pace better, it works for me and I feel like I’m learning more.

I’ve also discovered more tools- I’m more comfortable with reading and other resources. We’ll see how I do in the future.

1 Like

I joined the site way back when… before all the levels were even in existence. I made it up to around level 20-ish and burnt out since I went at breakneck speeds and on top of that, I had been denied from the Japanese university I had applied to which just shattered me.

I eventually got accepted into the university and at that point decided to pick WK up once again. I reset to level 10, I think? Anyway, it was still kind of hard to remember things and having forgot radicals made it harder to move forward with the new stuff which caused me to drop it once again.(And reset it once more in that time. Actually, I think I reset to 15 and then down to 10, same problem prevailed).

This time, I’ve decided I finally want to take Japanese seriously. I’ve gotten married to a Japanese person and it seems my life is in Japan, now. With that realization, I couldn’t stand the idea of being unable to communicate and understand things around me so I once again reset. This time, I bit the bullet and reset back down to level 1. :I

I’ve been going along slowly this time, since I’m also studying from textbooks and reading, among other things. However, I think I’m progressing much faster than I ever have in terms of my overall Japanese ability and I’m quite excited to get back into WK. I can’t wait to get back to where I left off all those years ago (level 20) and that’s my first goal. I think I’ll hit level 4 tomorrow, so I’m pretty happy about that. As it stands, most kanji are super easy for me still but I get dragged down by typos thanks to using my phone a lot. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Hi All,

I just did my first ever (and hopefully, only) reset. 14 back to 1. I’ve been somewhat on-and-off for a few years, but felt I was in a position where:

1. I’d gotten to 1,300 reviews (ugh!),
  2. I just wasn’t confident that “burnt” items, were actually still burnt, and
  3. A number of the radical names have changed over the years and were throwing me off.

… so, back to square one! The waiting period is killing me (again), but knowing what I’m in for, how the system works and how to use the system properly makes me happy to re-attack this from the beginning.

みなさんがんばって

5 Likes

I’m at the point where I’m finally getting back into the swing of things. I have a plan (literally written out) and all the apps needed to do this. However, getting back into it full throttle but forcing myself to go at a good place made me really look at my current level and all the burned items I have. I cannot confidently state that all my burned items deserved to be burned. And with that, I try to remember them using the self-study script and KameSame but the amount of kanji and vocab I can’t recall is kind of crushing my gung-ho spirit at the moment. I feel like if I reset I could set up the pace appropriately based on @jprspereira wonderful WK progression guide and follow the Tofugu Learning Japanese guide (among many other wonderful tools, resources, and an awesome community to lean on) I could progress steadily and gain a solid foundation on my journey to Japanese fluency. But if I do, I also feel like I have wipe away the solid work I put in.
So for those of you who reset your level, did you continue working on your workbooks and other resources?

1 Like

I just recently reset my level (for the first time) from 40 back to 1. I had multiple levels that took me months to complete since I wasn’t focusing on them like I should have been. Several times I came back from 2000+ reviews back into the regular review schedule, but I ended up getting sub 60% review scores while doing so. I had something like 3000 burned items but felt that I had forgotten so many of them that I’d like to review them all. There’s scripts to help review items, but trying to go through everything and figure that out felt a bit overwhelming for me. I also just wanted to review everything again, even if I did remember it. It’ll be a long road back to 40 and beyond, but I plan on focusing on my grammar in the meantime. I am able to read more of the example sentences now which is also a plus.

1 Like

The zero option is missing :laughing:

4 Likes

Resetting can be seen as taking 1 step back to take 2 forward. I know people that did reset from high levels and came back way stronger. I also know people that did a reset and their level hasn’t increased at all since then. So I guess what matters is attitude. If you really feel like resetting will give you peace of mind to make sure you know your stuff and the motivation to do better, then go for it.

The thing with WK is that you need to make sure you show up everyday to do the work. If you do that, you can’t go wrong. You can always use the self-study script to binge items from each level and see at which level you start struggling more (then reset to that one).

I don’t see why not :b Unless there’s a limitation in terms of time available or if you feel like you need to take a step back there too.

Appreciate the kind words :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As always you make great points. Reviewing the script and KameSame, I have decided to slow down a bit with how many new lessons I learn on WaniKani and intensify the ones I’m revisiting with KameSame and doing more study quizzes to help me identify the radicals/kanji/vocab that haunt me. I will stick with this for awhile and not reset. I’m staying on top of my reviews for my WK level and I’m not doing too bad as long as the items that I struggle with I drill down on by breaking the vocab down all the way to the radicals in the kanji the vocab is made up of to see if there is a link I’m missing. To your point, if I find that one level I just cant seem to nail down and it feels overbearing, I’ll reset to that level and do the rework to get a solid foundation.
Thanks guys I appreciate the insight!

1 Like

Disabled the “prioritize current level” option in the Tsurukame app. Vocab lessons are starting to pile up, currently I’ve got 130 of them including the ones from the previous level.
I think I’ll take it a bit slower to get rid of them.

I don’t know the exact amount, but I’ve reset at least 3 or 4 times over the years. I joined back over 6 years ago now…

Back then I had just finished my sophomore year in high school and was a naive, lazy teenager who thought I could easily learn Japanese with all my “free time”. I probably got through just the first few lessons in Genki, learned 100 kanji with some vocab, then called it quits. After that I tried a few more times over the course of a few years, never really getting a proper foothold.

Now, things have changed. 6 years later I’m more mature, I’ve graduated from university, and I had the privilege of visiting Japan for about a month. From my studies at university, I’ve learned how to study which is such an important skill that I cannot stress enough. I’m now creating a solid, structured plan with an accumulation of resources to be able to have continuing motivation and determination. Having also been to Japan, it also renewed my interest in the language. The one thing that really sucked about traveling there is not being able to talk to most people. It’s such an amazing thing to be able to immerse yourself in another culture, but it lacked due to not knowing the language…

What’s also changed is the world of Japanese learning online, by quite a large amount. To name just a few things, WaniKani is even better and there’s so many new resources out there like Bunpro and lingodeer. One thing that hasn’t changed though (except its size) is the Japanese language learning community. It’s still just as amazing as before. Everyone here is kind, helpful, and struggling with you. Having a support group is just as important as everything else too!

Shoutout to @jprspereira for his Ultimate Guide too. Taught me a few things about WaniKani I didn’t know :slight_smile:

Looking forward to learning alongside you guys (again :laughing:)!

1 Like

24 to 20 the first time, now 31 to 12.
I’ll now just roll with it without trying especially hard or so. Just throw stuff against the wall till everything sticks :wink:

1 Like

Ho! Hi! You’re back! 頑張ろう。
先輩の写真がいつも好き。

2 Likes

Oshinさん、久しぶり!元気にしてた?そうだね、頑張ろう、今回は無理せずに(*^^)v

1 Like