How many "KANJI" can you review per minute?

I think the key to WaniKani is to answer start typing your answer within 5 seconds. Some of those vocabulary items are real typing tests!

I remember when I first started wanikani, I was able to blast through the reviews like nothing. But I think from level 20 on or so I am lucky to even do 100 reviews in an hour. My trek through late 40s and 50s was easily 3 hours every night of reviews. Also to you people saying you can do hundreds of reviews in an hour I’d like to know your secret.

1 Like

You defeated its purpose by making a different post for every quote

I use the Google extension Lipsurf so I can say the word without having to type. It has saved me a lot of time and wrist pain when doing my reviews.

1 Like

This for sure. Part of the reason I’m learning Japanese is because I live in Japan. I tend to drive a lot of places and especially in these times, I like to visit less famous and off the tourist map places. Because they’re so out of the way, the signs that say how to get to these places often don’t include any English. I can’t just stop in the middle of the road, so that means I need to read and understand fast. It’s the difference between a pleasant drive and sightseeing and getting stuck on a kei-car wide road with a chance of possibly or not ever reaching my intended destination.

Probably a bit of an extreme example, but it helps lead to a lot less stress and a much more pleasant time when reading to be able to understand quickly.

In my case it’s opposite. I want to finish the review session so I can relax and review the missed items.

Haha agreed. A lot of self learning is trying out approaches to see what works for you.

ADD is one hell of a drug. I spend like 10 seconds max on each review. Which means that I get 80% accuracy only. Feelsbadman.

About 500+ per hour so… about 9 per minute?

I recently regressed my level from 44 to 2, so I already know most of the kanji already which makes my speed a little faster. When I was doing the 40+ levels, it was probably closer to 400 per hour, so maybe about 7 per minute.

Tbh I think it boils down to typing speed a lot of the time. If you’re a slow typer there’s not much you can do unfortunately. I’m also at the point where my brain makes the connections with the colors so that helps with speed as well. Speed will come with time, but even if you go at a slower pace, I really wouldn’t worry about it.

After two days, I’d like to thank each one of you guys!!
Now I’m managing to do my reviews a lot faster!

I did 69 reviews in 18 minutes now.

That’s almost 4 kanji per minute!

I feel that if I carry on, I will do even faster.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea, could you give me a link or something like this?

I’m really trying to get used to this. It’s actually a challenging for me now.

I’m almost reaching this review speed!
Now I can review 4 kanji per minute (almost the double than before).

Your reply is so helpful. It makes me want to improve myself even more

1 Like

I have just under 2 kanji per minute hehehe.
I think my issue is that I get distracted and almost purposefully go slow.
Perhaps working in shorter more frequent kanji sections instead of sitting there forever will help.
Also, don’t be afraid to answer vocabulary or anything wrong. Maybe set like a time limit for how long you can sit on a certain word before you just take the L and guess.

1 Like

or you can go to lipsurf.com It does cost to use it with Wanikani but $3/mo is worth it to me because I was getting nerve issues in my thumb from typing so much. I also think that saying it out loud to myself reinforces the vocabulary and helps commit it to memory.

2 Likes

Depends. If I’ve just started a level, and just learned a dozen brand-new kanji, it’s slower for sure. If the material is all Apprentice III or higher, I usually knock out 100 reviews in about 15-20 minutes if I’m on PC. So four or five per minute, on average?

2 Likes

I think I can relate to that :joy:

1 Like

Oh…

I guess this is a good reason to spend money on it, but I don’t think this is worth it to me now

Thanks, btw

You’re on the right way of reviewing on WK.

I’m too slow, hopefully I’ll overcome this habit in some days

You’re like inspiration for me now :wink: Thx

this is way faster than before!

my accuracy today was 86%

Personally, I think it boils down to a few things:

1. How fast you can type. I think this is the biggest factor tbh. I’m a relatively fast typer and can do about 500+ per hour.
  2. Previous knowledge of kanji/vocab. I got to 44 and hit a wall, so I regressed to level 2. The 500+ number above is relevant to where I am now. But even when I was in the 40s, I was doing probably 300+.
  3. Subconsciously connecting the colors and the kanji. Tbh I’m surprised how many people haven’t realized there’s a color coding system in wani-kani (not saying that’s the case for you or not) but once you realize this, I think there’s a lot of stuff that’s subconsciously running in the back of my brain. That said though, this is obviously the one that you can control the least.
1 Like