How long does it take to reach certain levels?

I’ll add another point for caution here. I was doing 20 lessons per day and keeping my apprentice count under 100 and was getting 150-200 reviews per day with spikes up to 300 as I hit the fast levels at 45+.

Think about it like this, once you’ve hit around the 6 month mark, your reviews on a given day are based on:

• lessons you did yesterday
  • lessons you did a week ago
  • lessons you did 2 weeks ago
  • lessons you did a month ago
  • lessons you did 4 months ago

It adds up. :wink:

1 Like

I now realize after this post, I used the completely wrong word here, I meant reviews, because on average I do around 75 reviews a day, 45 at one point, and then the rest are scattered, it isn’t due to my lack of work ethic, but the lack of reviews due as I am level 3.

1 Like

Yea, in the early levels reviews will be fewer due to the SRS timings. However, as pointed out by others, it takes roughly 6 months for a schedule to stabilize.

I did Wanikani at basically full tilt, clearing out all lessons on the day they became available. By the time my reviews stabilized, 6 months later, my weekly review count was somewhere around 1200. If spread out properly that’s fairly manageable, free time providing, at roughly 171 reviews a day.

However, there is what’s known as the “fast levels” that start at level 43. These are where burnout can happen if you attempt to do something insane like clear out all lessons as they become available. My schedule by 60 had stabilized at roughly 2200 reviews per week. This makes the fast levels a bit of a trap for those that try and clear out lessons immediately; those that do a set amount of lessons per day won’t really run into any problems in the fast levels as the rate of new apprentice items won’t change for them.

1 Like

That’s my middle name. The abbreviated version, anyway.

You may also be interested in one or two of the scripts I wrote if you continue:

As you noted later:

You should do your reviews every day (multiple times per day if possible). You should try to get the number of available reviews down to zero at least once per day.

You do not need to do lessons every day. Lessons determine how many reviews you’ll have in coming days. If you do 20 lessons, you’ll have 20 more reviews in 4 hours. Answer those correctly and you’ll have the same 20 added again in 8 hours, then 1 day, etc. It’s wise once you get to later levels to space out your lessons and not do too many at once.

I’ve immediate family in Japan so I tend to get plenty of conversation practice. I’ve recently subscribed to Satori reader for more reading practice (it’s excellent, but a paid service I’m afraid). Bunpro is great for practicing grammar (also paid, and I’ve not been using it as much as I should) but the Cure Dolly series on Youtube is also excellent (once you get used to the creepy uncanny valley thing — subtitles and speed settings help).

You’re welcome!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.