How long does it take to get to level 2?

This actually helps a lot, thank you!

1 Like

Level 1 took me 17 days and 4 hours so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. :wink:

The Wanikani intervals are as follows:

Apprentice 1 → 4 hours → Apprentice 2
Apprentice 2 → 8 hours → Apprentice 3
Apprentice 3 → 1 day → Apprentice 4
Apprentice 4 → 2 days → Guru 1
Guru 1 → 1 week → Guru 2
Guru 2 → 2 weeks → Master
Master → 1 month → Enlightened
Enlightened → 4 months → Burned

For Level 1 & 2 the SRS timings are accelerated for the Apprentice stage.

Apprentice 1 → 2 hours → Apprentice 2
Apprentice 2 → 4 hours → Apprentice 3
Apprentice 3 → 8 hours → Apprentice 4
Apprentice 4 → 1 day → Guru 1

You can see that the Apprentice levels lend themselves to having review sessions spaced evenly throughout the day, but many people get by with a single session a day.

Like @izzyfizz96 said, just try to start building a routine for yourself that you can stick to long term.

2 Likes

That time interval is outdated. The “1 day” is now 23 hours according to @jprspereira

2 Likes

@Adsf2342 I recommend reading my guide to Wanikani if you haven’t already :slight_smile: Mainly up to chapter 7. I wrote it with the purpose of making it very easy for a beginner to know how Wanikani works and how one can have the best learning experience out of it.

2 Likes

It took me 8 days, and I had to really slog it out. I had absolutely no exposure to Japanese, expect for having started learning Hiragana a few days prior to starting WaniKani.

Apart from the other great posts on this thread explaining level up’s, I would also suggest you spend some time on these forums - looking through user scripts, book clubs, other resources etc. I have decided that I’m going to take it slow going forward - and start spending time on grammar, listening (music, manga) until I hit level 20.

1 Like

I thought they reverted that change after people complained? Is it now in effect?

No, people complained that the 23 hour stuff was going to get moved to 24 hour. They decided not to do it, and I can only assume that in doing that they moved the 24 hour level 1/level 2 interval to 23 hours to have it match.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.