How long did it take to get to your current level?

Reorder allows you to take lessons for radicals and the kanji unlocked by radicals right away, since those are the items that stop you from leveling up. Then you can do the other kanji over the first 3 days and vocabulary over the rest of the level.

Just be careful, because it also also allows you completely ignore vocabulary just like @Ashi2015 is doing, which is a really bad idea. You don’t read Japanese by knowing kanji, you read by knowing vocabulary (and grammar obviously). So unless you’re learning vocabulary from a completely difference source, it’s really bad to skip them on WaniKani (and even then, I’d say it’s bad to skip them since they reinforce the kanji).

3 Likes

They have their uses, like doing radicals as soon as you level up and prioritizing kanji. Though as you saw with that poster, they can also be abused to completely neglect vocabulary, which don’t count towards level up.

2 Likes

Vocabulary also teach you the other kanji readings not taught when you learn the kanji, so it’s foolish to ignore then imo.

4 Likes

Many countless moons were spent obtaining my current level. Some said it couldn’t be done, but I proved them wrong. Now I laugh, as they cower at my ability to recall countless of words and kanji.

6 Likes

Start Date:2017-02-11 (112 days ago)
I’m currently just over half way through lvl 15 =)
I do a level a week (7 days, 19 hour average, lvl 14 I did in 7 days blank :wink: )

Yes, I use the reorder script. That way I can do the radicals/kanji first, and thus relax more and focus better on the vocabs. When I didn’t I hurried through the vocab just to get to the level up items, not caring about getting them right. I keep track on when my level up items are coming and try keep my reviews empty at the time, so only really need to reorder if other items come in at the same time =^-^=

Honestly though, I always do separate items. Radicals first, then kanji, then vocab. I find it easier to focus on one kind at a time. I only sort by levels when there are great bulks, making the number lower (only seeing some levels and not others) makes it seem more doable, and tricking the brain to feel you are almost done :wink: (it’s incredible how a low number feels encouraging, while a high one makes you feel swamped. Sorting, then doing them all but in smaller parts helps a whole lot for me)

I don’t feel the reorder has any negative effects/bad cheating. Sure, it makes it faster, and you CAN use it badly by neglecting your vocabs (by not doing the lessons/reviews on them) . But if you don’t neglect them I see no harm.
I am however abusing other scripts =P
If I can keep up this speed I plan on doing two rounds, where I wont use the scripts same way second time around.

I feel like we use the reorder script exactly the same. (I’m just going slower. (On purpose.) :wink: )

Great job!

1 Like

If you don’t mind me asking, what scripts are you abusing and how?

I think it’s called “WaniKani recheck” or something like that. Lets you decide to mark an answer right or wrong.
My plan is to go two full rounds. First round I’ll be liberal with marking right, second time I will be very strict and only use it on actual typos. Since I’m able to keep up this speed I will learn all those that comes easy to me within a year (finish in May). And so far almost all of the kanjis stick completely, only a few lag behind a tiny bit, but only slightly. There are a number of vocabs, especially general action and vague concepts, that would have been leeches but I send them on and will squash them on the second round. Whenever I get a wrong I stop and read its text again, and thus getting used to the story after seeing it several times if I fail same one.
I only started this new method last week, due to a big work load I just couldn’t get through knowing each failed item would just come back again later same day. It felt never ending. Now I’ve worked myself down to zero reviews, and will do the last lessons within a day or two, and finally be back to doing new lessons with their reviews in the repeat interval intended. Only difference is it will be bumped on even if failed.

I’m planing on doing a full conversion from lvl 60 and back to 1, to nullify all stats. And probably go slightly slower (unless reviews go so fast cause I know most of the items already, that it naturally follows that speed). And whenever I fail a word I will stop and write it down and work more outside WaniKani with the specific items =)
If I’m able to keep up the speed I will have done both rounds in something over two years, so it’s still fast. And even the easy items will have been drilled twice, nothing wrong with that =^-^=

While doing first round I’m doing my books, especially the from Zero series. And try to read a lot =^-^=

Hah! I was looking at the first posts, amazed how fast some had reached their current level. Then I realized they replied to the thread three months ago, when their level would’ve been a lot lower…

1 Like

Hehe, yeah, I did the same. So I decided to put my level when posting myself :wink:

2 Likes

Good thinking!

Since I posted my chart back in March, I’ve moved up 11 levels. 9 of those levels have been as short as, or shorter than, my shortest level was at that time.

2 Likes

I started 354 days ago. I slowed down for the 2.5 months leading into taking the JLPT N4, as I realized that I was far behind in my grammar and shifted focus to make up the gap, then took like a weeklong break after taking the test itself. As it stands though, I don’t think I’m gonna go through them as fast as before. For one thing, my long term retention won’t keep up until my reading starts making use of these upper level kanji, and considering I know now about 1000 kanji, I’ll probably be through Tobira before I have the grammar to tackle the kinds of texts that would utilize everything I’ve learned so far. For another thing, since I have this comfortable cushion of kanji knowledge ahead of my other japanese language skills, I’ll no longer spend extra time each night reviewing (real reviewing like drilling the meanings and readings, not like doing the WK reviews) the current level’s kanji on WK before going to sleep. Not to say that I’ll stop learning, doing my daily reviews, or leveling up, just that without a direct focus on it, I’m willing to bet my average level up time will probably stay at around 14 days.

1 Like

Way too scared of using scripts at the moment. I know myself and I know how I would begin to cheat if given the easy access. The most tempting one is the reorder script to get radicals and kanji out of the way quickly but I got to lvl 6 in a month so I’m content with living a script-free life for now.

…3 years… orz

1-60 in 1069 days. So two years, 48 weeks, and 2 days, 345 days of which were a level 24 hiatus that took ten-ish days to catch up.

3 Likes

Only around ten days? :scream::scream:

Pretty crazy, right? I had 2100 to chew through so I tried to make a system.

On the first days, I simply tried to hack out 100 a day minimum, and then however many more it took for the progress bar to reach the next entry on my browser’s bookmark bar. I picked up speed to the point where I could do 100 terms per session, a few times a day. I think I just buckled down and did the last few hundred in a single day.

I still gave myself one more day to catch up on all the leftover terms I got wrong. That amount of reviews left a whole lot of mistakes, and going back to learning was no fun.

1 Like

Normal people: I’m afraid of ghosts.
Japanese learners: I’m afraid of dropping WaniKani.

Damn! Still, congratulations on your lvl 60 :slight_smile: A lot of hard work was needed for you to reach that level! I really hope the results from that journey were worth your time :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh man I feel this. I’ve been camping the last few days, trying to do reviews here and there when I got scraps of reception, but as soon as I got into civilization I stopped wanting to check wanikani because I knew it wouldn’t be pretty. 300 reviews and a couple days later, and I’m back on track in time for another camping trip :sweat:

2 Likes