How long did it take to get to your current level?

Omg. I was wondering some time ago while some of them have white background and some don’t :joy: thankssss~

I haven’t burned anything yet, so i haven’t seen black triangles & background yet. Looking forward to them~~ two months to go!

Thanks for the info! That sounds like a crazy amount of work, and your consistency is very impressive. I floundered a good amount as I juggled work, travel, and numerous other things, and lately settled into doing just 5 - 10 lessons a day and reviews whenever they come up — now that I’ve caught up with reviews I’m planning my next leveling strategy. I think the consensus from all you high performers is to do all radicals immediately, catch up on vocab from the previous level (optional), then take the new kanji and vocab at a pace that you can handle.

Sure. I think you need to do whatever pace works for you. I’m more into a mindset where I want to see the end of it sooner rather than later and progressing at that pace becomes a goal in itself and keeps me going. Quick and dirty method. I like the regularity, I like to be able to see exactly when I will reach a certain level if I keep going like that. I also feel like I understand the wanikani mechanics perfectly to the point, so I can make the most of it, making sure I review items pretty much when the SRS intends me to. I only use the reorder script for lessons to learn the radicals and kanjis first, I don’t think you can do without. For tight deadlines, I also have the reorder script for reviews on the iPhone app but I use it very rarely (I make typos all the time and it’s slower to do reviews on mobile).

In terms of reviews a day, I would push it a little to avoid accumulating vocabs in your lesson queue. You get roughly 150 new items to learn every week so if you do 5-10 a day things will start to pile up at some point.

My lesson strategy for the 7-day levels was:
Day 1: New level: All radical lessons and a few of the kanji
Day 2: Rest of the kanji lessons
Day 3: No lessons
Day 4: Guru radicals → do the new kanji lessons that unlock.
Day 5: 30-40 Vocab lessons
Day 6: 30-40 Vocab lessons
Day 7: All remaning (should be about 40) Vocab lessons.
Repeat from day 1.

Review-wise I just did them all four times a day, but I think you can get by with twice. As long as you can get some time during day1 and day2 to catch that 4-hour interval of the level-critical kanji and radicals.

You can probaly use a variation of this to suit whatever pace you feel you want to go at… Like @yoshindustry I felt that just getting it done fast was motivational in itself.

1 Like

hahaha, waay to long…
hides

My graph is really weird. I was pretty sick between level 14 and 27, so I didn’t have any motivation at all. After that I feel I’ve been going at a pretty steady pace. In total, I’ve spent 649 days on WaniKani.

It’s been one year and one day…

I can’t access the wk data site from this computer, but here is an old graph from a week or so. I started level 43 last saturday. Level 42 took 6 days 20 hours since I was in a different time zone, now I’m back in my normal time zone, so it’ll probably be a 7 day 4 hour level up to get back to my normal schedule. Level 28 was when my (first ever) Japan trip, so I did no WK during that time, and it took me a bit of time to get back on track, since I had forgotten all of my apprentice items…

1 Like

I’m still new, but I should hit Level 8 by Friday. I’m also a physics major so I have some other work to fight sometimes.:joy:

2 Likes

3 months for me to get to very nearly level 10. And I’ve been on tour with my band and a few other things which involved spells of very heavy drinking and limited study opportunities. I guess that is decent progress…?

1 Like

I don’t use any particular ordering since I think seeing them separately makes my brain engage twice as much. Here’s my sad excuse of progress.

I started almost two years ago, got annoyed with a part of the community and went away. I didn’t engage vacation mode. Two months ago, I decided to give it another try. I had 1140 reviews waiting for me. I’m down below 500, now, with almost 300 burned. I had around 140 Apprentice when I started and now it’s around 240, lol. Even with the time off, I’m around 70% accurate. I fail almost every one of Koichi’s radicals since I don’t remember things like ‘woverine’ or ‘hole’ for them. I kept failing ‘drawer’ until I just added ‘mother’.

1 Like

Hopefully it’s less annoying now and you’ll stay.
:blush:

1 Like

Hello! Did you just follow Srs or did you use reorder script? :slight_smile:

Just gonna pop out in here to say that it has taken me my entire life, plus countless lives prior from beginningless time to get where I am today.

…that is all…

2 Likes

This is probably what I feared the most when I began using wanikani, the pointless optimizing of level-up times. Oh, and there is so much of it here. It doesn’t matter when or how fast you level up. Making mistakes is better than having everything correct all the time. The single worst enemy in WaniKanis learning system is oneself: It’s really easy to cheat. How can you cheat? Well, you can look up the kanji while studying; or you can use a reorder script. Or you even can just look at the “see apprentice kanji left” thing on the home screen and mouse over them real quickly. Actually, it takes quiet a lot of effort not to cheat.
In the end, you have to read, write and practice Japanese, not kanji.

So, while I think it’s interesting and sometimes funny to compare those level-up times and the like, actually they really mean nothing.

3 Likes

Well I just reached level 27 a few days ago, I believe I created this account around last March, so roughly ~420 days. That averages to about 15.5 days per level. Considering I typically work ~11 hours/day 5 days per week I’m pretty happy with that.

1 Like

How do you figure using a reorder script is the same as literally cheating and reading the definition / reading? Are you talking about reorder scripts for lessons or reviews?

2 Likes

1174 days.

I plan to be at lv 60 by August-September.

@dadadavid Did you know that you can level up in the minimum time without cheating? True story.

Also, it does matter how fast you level up. I’ll know more kanji sooner the faster I go. Whodathunk it.

In July I’ll take N1. The difference in kanji between 4 day levels and 8 day levels for the next month is like 120 kanji.

4 Likes

What’s the point of using a reorder script?

A̶v̶o̶i̶d̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶n̶a̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶v̶o̶c̶a̶b̶u̶l̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶i̶t̶e̶m̶s̶ Do radicals before Kanji before vocabulary to level up faster.

3 Likes