How long did it take to get to your current level?

About 15 days to go from 1 to 4 (my current level)
Enjoying the ride for now :slight_smile:

As you can see I just hit Level 9 again!

72 days to get from 1 to 10 and 1/2.

So far, so good.

Surprisingly, yes. And there has never been a time where I had to do 500-1000 reviews in one day. The most I’ve ever gotten (4 days ago) was 302 reviews, though I had probably slacked off the day before. On average, I get a little over 100 reviews a day on WaniKani.

2 Likes

438 days. I was one of those “I’ll get to level 60 in just a year”. Lol.

1 Like

Level 7, almost exactly 3 months. Took one week off without turning on vacation mode… Sincerely regretted it.

xelael
Looks like you have slowed down a bit since your last level if you were at 10 1/2 and its now 36 days later. So there went the 1 level per 7 days theory. I’m telling you people trying to go all out 7 days per level is insane. Going as slow as I am is stupid as well though since I have burned kanji over 2 years ago and probably do not remember them all so well. But, I would rather still be here 3 years later then burned out and quit after forcing myself to work so hard that it became unbearable and no longer fun. Gotta keep it fun and enjoy it or you will hate it and quit. That was the one thing that was pounded into my head when I started was that most people give up after 1- 1 1/2 years of studying Japanese. 80% quit after a year. The money in teaching Japanese is all in the beginners courses. That is where JPOD101 and FLUENTU Work so hard to get peoples money. Get them to commit for that 1 year whe they are motivated. Tens of thousands of wannabe learners who give up in the end. Well there is one thing I am not and it’s a quitter.

2 Likes

I don’t know exactly how long anymore, but more than two years. I came out swinging, thinking I was going to be done in a year. Somewhere around level 14 or 15 I just stopped for a long time. I have one level that took me 409 days. My review queue has hit 2000 three times now I think. My New Year’s Resolution is actually to get my reviews done every day. Sometimes life just interferes though.

2 Likes

Took me 164 days to reach lvl 19.

I’m pretty satisfied tbh. I’m also working on grammar at the same time and I also have an online course (not related to Japanese) and a job so… Idk I think all things considered that’s good.

3 Likes

If I stick with it, I think 10 to 14 days per level is normal for me. I definitely forget a few kanji every chapter which slows down the pace. The seven day per level people are clearly cyborgs.

5 Likes

Took me 255 days to reach level 26. So far I’ve been proceeding smoothly because I had an account before and a lot of stuff was still in the back of my mind (sometimes I feel like I’m cheating :smirk:), but once I arrive back at where I had stopped (I think it was level 30-ish) I will definitely slow down a lot… :sweat:

1 Like

8 Likes

Now this is a sad thread of seeing people who stopped using WK. ;w;

Incidentally, March 2017 was about when I actually decided to use my previously created account. So, it’s taken two years for me to get to level 50. I’m okay with that.

5 Likes

I also often felt sad lately seeing 2-year old posts from people who apparently gave up.
But every now and then, there’s a level 60 among them, which makes me happy again :grin:

for the record: i’m level 23 now (~160 days). if i’m not much further in the future, have pity for me ^.^

2 Likes

I like what you wrote and agree with a lot of what you’re saying, i didn’t think too much about how many people quit after a year, that’s interesting. I agree the biggest threat and slowing factor to learning Japanese is burning out/giving up.

7 days a level is definitely quite tough.
It helps though to not have a life, and to be a workaholic.
And people have done it before (like jprspeira).

I’m already prepared mentally, should i ever burn out, to stop lessons for a while and just do reviews. At least i hope i’ll have the energy left for that. But right now, that seems far away.
I’m just postponing most of the fun for a while to concentrate on getting the job done, so that i can better benefit from and enjoy the japanese content. Once I’m 60 on WK and further with grammar (Bunpro), i’ll throttle back again.

Not sure why i’m writing this, but i guess i need a break from reviews from time to time after all ^^

1 Like

it has taken me 44 days to get to level 6. so far i am having a lot of fun. i am weary of the future, as it seems many have burned out before me. but i will remind myself that my goal is ultimately to learn japanese, NOT to level up in Wanikani and try to make decisions accordingly.

3 Likes

i think you are right, the reason i am able to keep up a relatively quick pace is because i don’t really have a social life. the realization is a bit sad, but then again i have been having fun learning japanese!

2 Likes

i’d rather not have a social life for one year, then be able to read japanese ^^
also, to be frank, people aren’t nearly as enjoyable as Japanese most of the time. :wink:

2 Likes

:laughing: so funny, so true

I started Wanikani in August 2020 and Japanese in July 2020. It’s been since 267 days ( by Wkstats) and I am currently lvl 22. I hope to be able to reach atleast over level 30 by January of 2022. I might reach it before September if I keep working hard. I do wanikani everyday all my reviews + lessons, but it seems that I don’t learn as fast as others. I did 3h of japanese grammar per day on average ( completed the Japanese from zero book series )

Since March 2021, I focused less on grammar and more on using my japanese ( reading japanese news/article ( nhk easy/ i read daily, and matcha / cant find new articles argh if you have any others 易しい website I would appreciate :smile: , manga (One Piece, Yotsuba) , listening to radio (SBS Japanaese) writing random stuff, watching Hikakin/Seikin or other japanese youtube channels)

I want to do work holiday visa by January 2022 if the 緊急事態宣言 (きんきゅうじたいせんげん/ state of emeryency thanks NHK article for overusing this word haha) calms down in Japan. Thanks you 総理大臣 :smile:

1 Like

Only been a couple thousand days, so I think I’m advancing at a pretty good pace

3 Likes