How is piano a stringed instrument? Am I missing something?

1 Like

The keys are all linked to strings on the inside… I guess that counts?

14 Likes

Inside a piano are a bunch of strings. The piano keys cause hammers to strike the strings. So technically, the sound comes from playing the strings.

15 Likes

24 Likes

If you’ve read or watched Detective Conan (Case Closed) you will know that piano wire is great for murder

22 Likes

haha I guess, thanks

2 Likes

The fact is that the main meaning on WK isn’t the only meaning, but it’s primarily contrasting with instruments you have to blow through, for which you don’t use 弾く, but rather 吹く.

“To play an instrument you don’t blow through” is just unnecessarily long though.

Another different “play” is for percussion, which you usually use たたく or する depending on the situation.

Using ひく for instruments that don’t have strings might be technically incorrect, but you will see natives do it from time to time.

14 Likes

It doesn’t look like it from the outside, but that’s what it is.

“The piano is an acoustic, stringed musical instrument” – Wikipedia

8 Likes

Your question has already been answered, but I just can’t help posting this video:

9 Likes

To make matters more confusing, the piano is also technically a percussion instrument, because the strings are struck with hammers rather than plucked or bowed. Instrument classification systems struggle to describe the vast diversity of instruments in existence. It might be more accurately classed as a cordophone, in contrast to an aerophone, membranophone, idiophone (electrophone!).

But in the case of Japanese, we’re talking about specific verbs used for different modes of playing an instrument, rather than the classification system of musical instruments. As Leebo mentioned, there are essentially three such verbs, so they will naturally each cover a vast range of instruments which might not seem entirely intuitive if your only options are ‘pluck, blow or hit’.

12 Likes

A piano actually has strings inside with hammers that hammer the strings with each key you press. The vibration of the string is what is making the sound.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s how I know…

3 Likes

Makes me wonder what verb to use when playing clavichord or such instruments haha. they actually pull the strings from the inside of the Instrument. :laughing:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.