How is 混乱 understood in Japanese?

I stumbled upon 混乱 in my weather app.
The phrase is: 風による混乱
I get the gist that it is a warning about wind. That’s all good but I wonder about the nuance of the word.
To elaborate, to me it seems way more disastrous in Japanese than in English or my native language.
The meaning given by WaniKani is “Confusion, Disorder, Chaos”, look it up in a dictionary and you may add “mayhem”.
So to me it sounds like “Chaos (death and destruction) due to wind”, whereas the official English translation is “Disruption due to wind” and the official German translation is “Windwarnung (Windwarning)”. So English/German is like “take care it’s a bit windy” and Japanese seems more like “look for a bunker before you regret it”.
So my question is: Do Japanese interpret 混乱 really in such a strong why as I presume or is it not as strong in the destructive meaning I add to it? So does it sound more violent in Japanese than in English or should I view it more as a minor confusion?

Thanks in advance!

Edit:
Maybe two pictures to add a bit more context:

Couldn’t it just be like “disturbance (such as in the atmosphere) due to wind” or something. That sounds weather-y to me.

It’s basically the opposite of “order.”

In these cases it’s always worth clarifying where everything came from. Is the app meant to be used by Japanese and this is translated by professionals?

1 Like

I don’t know about Germany, but in the Netherlands we don’t get a warning for wind, unless it will be potentially destructive.

3 Likes

The type of warning changes, ranging from warnings that shouldn’t be issued to serious warnings. Though they state which kind it is, like breeze, wind, strong wind, storm, strong storm, hurricane like. The Japanese is always the same though (in this weather reporting app that is).

That’s what throws me off, since i can’t judge the severeness of 混乱 if its the same for every warning.

The app is from Samsung and therefore I assume translated by professionals for almost all major languages.

So yes it is intended to be used by Japanese as well. The actual warning though are of course issued by the regional weather agencies, in this case “Deutscher Wetterdienst” but this applies solely to the detailed description. The warning flags used in the app seem universal.

Maybe I should clarify my intended question, as my original post doesn’t seem to state it correctly.

I wonder how strong the word is understood in Japanese?
As one could rank confusion, disorder, chaos and mayhem from weak to strong or
lukewarm, warm, hot, “boiling” from cooler to warmer.
My question is, where does 混乱 fit in?
More on the less disorderly side or more on the utter chaos side?

Hope this rephrasing might clear up my question, so that someone could give me insight.
I appreciate your help!

From https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/word/混乱/

こん‐らん【混乱】

[名](スル)物事が入り乱れて秩序をなくすこと。いろいろなものが入りまじって、整理がつかなくなること。「交通機関に混乱を来たす」「経済の混乱をまねく」「頭が混乱して考えられない」

My amateur translation: “Things being jumbled together and order being lost. Becoming unable to organize due to various things being mingled.” Sounds just like a typical “confusion, disorder” definition to me.

Example sentences:
交通機関に混乱を来たす - Cause disorder in the public transportation system.
経済の混乱をまねく - Invite disorder in the economy.
頭が混乱して考えられない - Head is confused and cannot think.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.